SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnatrus

Exterior stucco color & front door placement

donnatrus
6 years ago
We are renovating inside and out of our ‘stuck in 1981’ house. Excited! But lots of decisions and I could use help, please! First, we will be removing all the rock, the wood box around windows and wood above garage. All will get stucco to match the rest of the house. I want to change the color of the house and trim. Thinking a light beige body. Not sure about trim. Maybe grey or blue/grey? I love a Mediterranean look (although I know that’s not the house style). We’ll replace shutters too. Suggestions of colors for body, trim, and shutters?

Also, our entry is set back about 7 feet, and it drives me nuts that I can never see the doors ... just looks like a black hole! I had an idea to bring the front doors forward to align with rest of main body. And will be replacing the doors with lots of glass! Here are pics.

So, I’d love suggestions on colors, the door placement and shutters to get closer to my classic Mediterranean look. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful! Thanks!! PS: working on landscaping (Lavender, white roses, sage) and someday replace driveway.

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Maybe stop trying to make it something it is not. This will never be a mediterranean house unless you rebuild it. The shutters look silly ,If you think slapping on stucco will get you closer not really. I agree the stone is pretty ugly but I sure would not replace the stone and the siding with stucco IMO best to just be siding everywhere more in keeping with the style of the house . As for the front door aw alkway from the street to the door and a lighter colored door will help that.

• Related Discussions

Need help with front exterior color, doors and windows

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO all the windows should be the same style . Is that a garage on the left side ? There is no reason a closet can't have a window I happen to love the window in my closet . As for someone to help go to find a pro on this site that is in your area. BTW where is your architect in this process that is really the person you need to discuss this with. I would need to see your choices but they seem a bit off to me color wise. I like black windows for sure and tan and gray do not work together in my head.
    ...See More

Exterior SW paint colors for stucco home with tan roof, want aqua door

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO san, tan and beige are all just shades of beige. You already have that so why not just do the garage door the same and do your aqua door
    ...See More

stucco mould vs door trim on exterior entry

Q

Comments (1)
    Jamie, you can make a nice surround using composite material and trim which is very easy to do nowadays and you have a large profile selection available, or you can use stucco mold just make sure they use finish for "traffic area" being this a doorway which is more durable... The con with stucco is if it gets damaged it's much harder to repair and match the color in comparison to replacing a piece of trim. Good luck with your new home!
    ...See More

Help me w exterior overhaul! Stucco, stone, landscaping, front porch.

Q

Comments (2)
    We tried power washing with little improvement. There was water, which led to mildew and moss, which is gone now. What’s left are stains from that (I called them water stains for simplicity’s sake). Not sure if we’ll be able to get them off or not.
    ...See More
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks phuninthesun! That’s exactly what I’m hoping for. And I was thinking stained shutters to match the front door. And I love how you can actually see the doors. Thx!!

Do you think it’s a good idea to bring the entry forward?
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Patricia, the entire house is actually stucco, including parts of the front. Not sure why the front has the wood as we see that as ‘what doesn’t go’ and quite random. Thanks for your comment.
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

donnatrus I actually like the door where it is. Once the stone is out it should look brighter and larger. Adding a hanging light will help as well.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Without the shutters.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I would leave the door as is. It's nice to have a covered area in front of the door. A porch light would help it not seems so sunken. Lighter doors would help too, but I love your wooden doors. I think you could do a blue/gray or a light sage green on the stucco, but keep the colors fairly light. An off-white would look good here, too. I would avoid gray. Trim in a white or off-white, depending on the body color. I would also remove the shutters. They don't add anything, might actually make the house look more squat.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

phuninthesun's mockups look great and even add a bit of that Mediterranean vibe. An off-white on the body color would be perfect. Then you could plant some vibrant flowers in the beds out front for some color.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks phuninthesun! It would certainly be easier to leave the door where it is. We would replace the stone with stucco and it would definitely be lighter so you might be right. We do have a flush mount light in there set to come on dusk till dawn. I’d like a hanging fixture like what you’ve drawn and have been looking but the entry isn’t very high so would need to be short or flush mount. Also maybe a new door with reflective windows (like you have shown) would brighten it.

If we do lighter stucco, what color trim should we do? And I think I like the shutters! Thanks for showing both. You rock!!
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Emily! Good thought about the shutters. I guess I could wait and see how it looks once the wood is off and it’s all stuccoed. Hard for me to imagine the window bump out in stucco vs the wood.

And I agree, no grey. I like the idea of a sage color too. Question about trim color...if we do a light beige or off white trim, do I do a dark trim? Or a grey/blue? Or sage? I gave no idea about the trim!! So confused... thanks for your advice!!
  • Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I personally would remove most of your trim, especially the big pieces on the corners and above the garage. A lot of stucco houses don't have much, if any, trim. It looks like your windows are currently black. You could leave them that way of paint them dark blue, dark brown, white or even a dusty blue.

Look at some of these houses. I don't see much trim.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

If you use an off white or light sage for the body, I would use a darker shade for the trim. To me a dark trim balances out the dark window frames.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Emily and phuninthesun. There isn’t much trim but it’s all along the roof and eaves, as well as around the garage door, garage window, and front door. That’s really it. All dark brown?
  • Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I would definitely keep your fascia (trim around the roof) dark, essentially blending in with the roof. The soffits (underside of the trim around the roof) could match the fascia or the house color. I'm leaning towards fascia color. The house trim, I would remove and stucco over. If there is no trim around the main windows, there shouldn't be any on the garage window. The trim on the corners and around the entry visually break up the house. The trim around the garage is fine, but unnecessary. If you have to keep it, paint it the same color as the house, but now is the time to remove it. Keep the gutters the same color as the house.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

I agree with the above statement. Your house trim should be a closer match to the roof and gutter brown. Everything underneath should be the same color. Either the color of the trim or the color of the stucco as shown below. Remove the wood trim around the windows as well.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Emily and phuninthesun. Great suggestions. I think we will remove the trim around the garage window & garage doors. Should we leave it around the front doors? Or paint it dark..same as trim?

And I could use some help on stucco color. I was thinking beige but want it to look fresh. I also don’t want too yellow. These are the choices I’ve narrowed it down too. I also like white stucco but am afraid it will look dirty easily and is quite blinding when the California sun is beaming down! So what about these beige colors? Or maybe a mix? Thoughts? Things to consider? Thanks!!
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

If the trim around the front doors is necessary, then I would leave it and paint it the same color as the main trim. I like all of the lighter choices on the left. I would get some samples and try them on different areas of the stucco. Don't paint them right next to each other.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I like Meadowbrook, but you'll have to try a few on the house.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks! I lightened phuninthesun’s version (which I love!). I think lighter might be even better! I just don’t want yellow (like we have now). Just a light beige. If anyone knows LaHabra stucco colors and can recommend, that would be great. Thanks!!
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Finally! We have the faux stone and ugly brown porch tile removed! Yay! And have all new windows in the front to install. We plan to remove the trim and siding from around the windows and above garage.

Time to choose a porch tile and stucco color! And time to decide on shutters and front door color. Originally I wanted light beige stucco for main house with medium brown stained new front doors and shutters. But now I’m thinking about adding some color. What about blue for doors & shutters? I’m thinking about a medium blue/green/grey. Any thoughts vs. stained brown?? I also am thinking of a beige travertine tile for porch.

Would love any ideas or suggestions! Then will work on landscaping (drought tolerant Mediterranean style). Thank you!! (Not sure if I should make a new post!?)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Alabaster Lahabra stucco with BM Stonnington gray trim...keep your gorgeous wood stained doors! remove your shutters.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks HIWE! That house is beautiful. Love those colors! So our doors are in pretty bad shape and we definitely need more light in our entry from bigger windows. Do you think medium wood stain or a color (a medium blue/gray/green)? And we’re definitely removing those shutters. Are you suggesting no shutters? Thanks!!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes remove shutters and I would refinish the doors in a medium wood stain...once you lighten up the house the doors will look gorgeous!..any chance some lighting could be installed within the porch area? Would not do a colored door..it will take away from a more sophisticated Mediterranean style.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Here is a beautiful mediterranean style exterior lighting..

• PRO
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks HIWE.. yes we desperately need new lighting but was waiting until we picked everything else out. Love those! Thanks!

And I don’t see Alabaster as a Lahabra color. Is it perhaps a different brand? Any suggestions on Lahabra colors? Our stucco guy said he can lighten any color so was thinking a lighter version of a brown might make a nice light beige. But don’t want a yellowy beige! Thanks for the suggestions
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Here you go...

• PRO
  • Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

Did they remove that wood window trim when installing the new windows? It might be covering up a gap?

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    HIWE, thank you! But that’s so weird... my Lahabra stucco colors are different when I go to their website!? See attached. So strange. I’ll ask my stucco guy if we can get those colors.

Do you recommend any colors from this chart? I’m a little nervous about going so light. Any light beige recommendations as alternatives to the Alabaster? Thanks!!

And Elizabeth, my husband and I will install the new windows and remove the trim. We haven’t yet. We’ll see! Nervous about what’s above the garage. But the ‘stone’ is gone! Better already :)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Have You compared any to the color you have now? Lighter the better for me....

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have tried but it’s hard with little paper chips! Here’s a better look at the colors. Actual stucco in real life at local building store. I really don’t know! (But I do like these colors on these houses..)

Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Really like oatmeal...a nice neutral that will mix well with your roof...

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all! Well, after a ton of work, we have all the faux stone off, as well as the ‘siding’ above garage, tile at entry, and the wood & shutters around the windows. All new windows in! Ready for stucco! And new lighting,
    including sconces on each side of garage as well as to the right of front doors. And I’m working on a landscape plan.

I’m going to see how LaHabra Oatmeal works. Exciting!! Can’t wait to bring our house into this century :)

So my question is... should we stucco over the wood trim around the garage? I’m thinking yes, as was previously suggested since there is no other wood trim (except front doors for now). And if yes, same color and texture as body of house? And as for trim color, I’m thinking a dark brown (darker than current) to match the gutters. Agree?

Any other thoughts? Here’s a current pic. Thanks so much!! Houzz to the rescue! :)
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I hate the look of wood covered in stucco. It is popular though. I think the trend started when builders began using Styrofoam trim sprayed with stucco. I've always thought it looks cheap. I notice you already have it in the columns of your entrance. Maybe you should do it at the garage but not at the entrance.

As for color I would follow the colors used on the Grady O Grady image you posted above. It looks like the fascia board is painted brown but the trim at the opening to the door looks like a creamy off white. I would paint under the eaves a color matched to the stucco

My real goal is to bump you up in hoping one of the pros will respond. .

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Good Day!

I would not stucco the wood trim...pretty please ......

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    emmarene9, thanks! I hadn’t thought about it looking like the styrofoam trim, but something to think about. Thanks for mentioning.

HIWE, thanks for your response! So you think we should just paint it? I thought the consensus was to get rid of the trim so I thought stuccoing would work. Is it better to just paint it? Even though there is no other wood trim on the house?

Any other thoughts? Can anyone do a mock up to show options? That would be great!!

I did find this house in my neighborhood which has their trim in stucco. I think it looks pretty good. No?? Would love to hear different opinions! I just want to do what’s best for the look of the house. Thx!!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Paint it to match stucco color or paint in in a complimentary color..something like what I had posted earlier in the post....

• Emily Jowers
    5 years ago

I like the look of the house you posted with the stucco'ed trim. I think it would be weird to leave wood trim on when you removed the rest.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Emily. I thought the same! But was worried it would look weird. Still not sure so we just decided to leave it. We could always have them stucco it in the future if we decide it doesn’t look good. In the meantime, we will sand and paint a color similar to house/garage.

Here is it today! So excited. Finish coat going on tomorrow(!!), but.. I can’t decide on a color. Oatmeal is much lighter and much more yellow than I hoped. Our stucco guy tried 1/2 strength Clay but may be too pinky-brown. And he tried 50/50 Oatmeal/Clay which might work. Here are the samples, in order. I might try more samples today (and bigger)!!

Also, here is a new house going up in our neighborhood. I like the color but don’t know what it is..

Any thoughts? I want a neutral beige. Not yellow and not pink. ..not easy to find.

Anyone that can lend a suggestion, I’d appreciate it!

Phuninthesun, if you are out there, would love your thoughts too. And Emily & HIWE! Thank you!!!
  • Jojo Lolo
    4 years ago

I'm curious to know what color stucco you ended up with? I'm looking at La Habra Oatmeal or Dove Gray as possible colors for our home.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi jalockton, we went with Merlex Desert Beige fog coat. It’s a nice color. No pink undertone which was important. It does look different throughout the day in different light, as does every color.. that’s what makes it so hard!! Here are a few pics. We still need to paint trim around garage, actually all the trim. and landscape of course which we’re working on. Good luck!