SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hutchae84

Edible garden to English garden

We recently bought a new house and the yard will need some extensive work. The previous tenants were urban farmers and have quite a bit of edible plants. While I do love edibles, I also like the idea of having a flowering garden. Below is a rough layout of the current yard. I am sure there are more perrenials that will pop up.

Current plans are to remove the Holly and one apple tree (diseased). We will be replacing the current (chain link) fence with a picket fence on the East and half of the South side (street sides) and a privacy fence will line the N and W side. Were the picket fence will be, I would like to line the sidewalk side of it with Oakleaf hydrangeas. I would also like to add another Lilac tree to the north side of the lot. See below for general idea.

Any suggestions on transforming this yard? I'm in the PNW and the lot is aprox 8,000 sq ft. I prefer gardens that have whites, blues, purple's and light pinks. I particularly like the mix of chartreuse and purple together. Some plans I would consider using are peonies, delphiniums, Jasmine, hellbores, ferns, hostas, hydrangeas and various ground covers.

I have three small children so it will be a slow work in progress. I would also love a climbing vine "teepee" but that might have to wait till next year.

Comments (2)