SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcjjmama

1938 Center Hall Colonial—Advice Welcome!

kcjjmama
6 years ago

I am in the process of purchasing a 1938 center hall colonial. I want to make some improvements but want to be consistent with the home’s style ans history. The whole main floor has original hardwood floors (except a tiny under stair bathroom with original tile). My main priority when I thought about first projects (I plan to live there a long time and want to pace myself and my budget accordingly) was the floors because it would be so nice to have them done before we move in. But then I thought I would like to remove a center hall door that is unuseable due to a kitchen remodel, and that would require work beyond my ability, and then it just gets to be more and more, and I am thinking I may need to talk to a contractor.

I’ve got a couple of names to call, but since it’s not my house yet and I don’t really know what’s reasonable, I would love some input.

I’ll try to post pictures from different angles of the main floor (living, center hall, dining/kitchen). For the whole main floor, I want floors refinished. The only other thing in the living room would be to paint walls and ceiling.

For the center hall, I would like to paint walls and ceiling and refinish stairs all the way up. I also would like the railings to match the trim instead of the walls. I would also like to remove the faux painted door that goes nowhere after their remodeled the kitchen on the other side.

For the dining room, I would like to paint. The walls have a weird texture that I would like to be gone, and I don’t know how to get rid of that. The ceiling is shiplap and I would like to keep that, but I don’t like the color combo going on there. I would also like a different backsplash and will probably want to paint the kitchen, but I am not sure yet.

I would love any advice you can offer about the scope of the project, what this might cost, any paint/backsplash/style advice you might offer? I am a 41 year old single professionalmom with four kids ages 5-12. I love a beautiful home but need practicality and comfort too. I am drawn to warmer neutrals, navy, and orange/persimmon colors a lot. This side of the house is north facing and I don’t want it to feel dark.

Thanks for any help or inspiration images you could offer! Please note these pictures are of the current owners’ stuff, none of which is staying.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert