SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_munafo

New Open-Concept Kitchen & Living Room-- what would you do?

Rachel Munafo
6 years ago

I recently removed the wall between my kitchen and living room in my small 1960s ranch-style house and I'm looking for suggestions and ideas for design and layout so that it feels like one cohesive living space.

I plan to run the flooring from the living room into the kitchen and I'm looking to do a full kitchen remodel. I'm also open to purchasing new living room furniture that will better fit the space, however I'm not sure the best pieces to purchase and how to layout the furniture.

We have baseboard heaters that run along the living room wall with the bay window and half way down the back wall (where the TV is currently cornered). I'd love to figure out a way to add cabinets and shelving in the living room for added storage (fantasizing about built-in style cabinets/shelving along the back wall but worried about the cost and using up so much valuable wall space).

In the kitchen, I want to maximize storage and counter space. We have a small pantry (slim white door). We do not have a dining room and it's important to me that we have a kitchen table so we can have/host family dinners. I prefer simple white cabinets (shaker probably), white quartz, and subway tile background--simple and classic design style.

I'm working with a tightish budget and are planning to do some of the work myself if possible. Would love any ideas and suggestions this community has to offer!

Thanks,

Rachel

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations