SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cocoyates

Wood tile everywhere or a combination of real and tile?

cocoyates
6 years ago

Our flooring bill is way too high for the new home we’re building, so I’m needing to pare back the hardwoods that we currently have everywhere except the entry, halls, stairs and bath/utility rooms. At the moment I’m thinking the most effective way to cut costs would be to replace the wood flooring on the children’s floor (2 bedrooms, a dressing room and a playroom) with wood tile. It would save us about 3k and would probably be easier to maintain. That way we could retain the hardwoods in the master suite and throughout the entire living level.

However, part of me wonders maybe it would be nicer to just have a single flooring throughout the whole house (namely, the wood tile). But then, I’m concerned that it will make the whole house will feel cold and it might really date (a bit like wall to wall carpet in the 80s), whereas it would be less likely to look rubbish if strategically placed in a few key areas and we use real wood and stone tile for the rest.

I should say, the house is a very modern style, so tile works well stylistically, though it is not my first choice as I find it cold and uninviting in large quantities.

I’ve attached pics of the tile we’re using for halls/stairs/landings, the current wood we’ve currently got picked out to use in the rooms (except obvs bathrooms and utility), and the wood tile option. What do you think? Better to do wood tile throughout or use it only in the rooms on the kids floor and keep the normal tile in the stairs/halls/landings and real wood on the main fooor and in the master bedroom?

Tile for entry/halls/stairs:

Sample of the real wood flooring for bedrooms/dressing room/playroom/main floor:

Wood tile that we could use in the bedrooms, dressing room and play room on the kids floor:

Comments (22)