SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirus7264

Buying a new house in Japan with concrete joists

sirus7264
6 years ago

So i am currently in the final process of buying a house here in japan and will be doing 90% of my renovation myself(cant do breaker box or certified things legally). The house feels extremely stable with mahongany floors, a few plaster walls(which i will be removing and most likely replacing), and concrete joists dug into the ground(no idea how far or what could be under all the dirt). The house is about 50 years old now but i saw nothing that is alarming except in the storage room and the room next to the concrete floor bathroom on the first floor which had some major water damage(i was going to completely remove anything from these rooms anyhow and rebuild). there is no access panel to these areas and i do not know what type of joists hold up those areas i beleive they were done in a renovation or expansion as the plaster walls throw me off. I do not know if there is concrete joists under the wood flooring in those rooms all i know is the wood in that room is going to fall apart with every step i make on it(except where the joists are in the room because i can feel them). I assume since the rest of the house is done on concrete joists those rooms are probably in the same standard and judging by how the joists looked from the other access panel they were in great condition. No other room in the house feels bad at all and the house seems extremely stable. I don't want to pay for a japanese inspector as i know it is going to cost a fortune and my wife who is japanese will not understand anything they talk about to her and is easily convinced and influenced(Last time i delt with inspectors i was delt a done of lies with my car and payed for a ton of work that didnt need to be done because i dont speak japanese and my wife know nothing about cars. This situation is going to be the same.). I estimate an inspector would cost anywhere from 2-3k to hire and look over the house and tell me alot of things i already know problem wise with the house(There is a chance he may catch something i didn't as i am not a professional inspector. It's hard to miss when the drywall is between your frames in the interior.). Everything is pretty much visible and i plan to rip almost all of the walls and frames out anyhow especially that room since its going to be comming a huge bathroom(Combine 3 small japanese rooms into 1 huge bathroom with vanity. What do you think i should do hire the inspector and suck up the costs or just do this and fix what has to be done with the 2-3k?(That is probably the cost of most of the materials). btw it costs an arm and a leg for any contractors to do even the most simple work here in japan 15k to install a freaken water heater or 10k to install 5 sets of cabinets in a kitchen...

Comments (7)