SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nkomorski

Stair/banister stain dilemma

Ms Bean
6 years ago

Our house was built about 17 years ago. It looks like at the time the wooden stair/banisters were installed, there were not properly sanded, stained, and finished. Instead I am guessing they were "stained" with some kind of surface coating to match the prefinished hardwood floors. The trouble is, that "stain" (not technically the right word since it didn't penetrate the wood) is now chipping off in spots, and anywhere we stick tape or anything sticky, it peels right off and the light coloured wood underneath sticks out like a sore thumb.

We've decided to install a carpet runner (for looks and for safety of the 2 young kids) which will cover most but not all of the blemishes. I am now looking for the best way to touch up the remaining bald spots around the edges. Applying matching wood stains doesn't seem to work, even with a bit of sanding, as the color does not penetrate. Is there some kind of finish I could apply on the surface, similar to what would have been used originally, just to camouflage the peeling temporarily?

I realize the ideal solution would be to completely strip and refinish the stairs and we may do that in a few years but that's not an option right now, budget-wise, so I'm really just looking for a band-aid solution to make this a bit less ugly for the next few years. It will just be on the edges along the banister where the new stair runner won't cover, so wear and tear shouldn't be a big problem

Comments (8)