SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Feedback on potential floorplan changes to existing house

lyfia
6 years ago

We are trying to decide if we are going to make an offer on a house and property. It is 30+ acres. We like the property a lot, but the house much less so. We have some specific requirements we need.

- A room near master where DH can sleep when I bug him at night. He is a very light sleeper and where he can sleep with the TV on which I can't do.

- Prefer entry to master bath/closet from both master and DH's den so we can avoid waking each other. Our schedules overlap for 5hrs at night, but that is it. I get home late when he's already asleep and he leaves while I'm asleep.

- We have one kid who in this house would use the upstairs half story for her room, but want at least one other room for guest room/potential foster child room.

- Also want another bedroom that could be used for office/workout room.

- Would like a bathtub in master, but I'm willing to forgo it as long as there is a large shower.

- I like accessing the closet from the bath (we have it now and it is nice to not have to leave and I can get ready there. We have an AC vent in our closet and never had any moisture issues. Also this cuts down on bugging the other person that is sleeping so has worked well.

I quickly sketched some options in powerpoint and the dimensions aren't perfect. I tried to err on the side of it being too small, but it is pretty close. This is just so we can see if we can make this work. We have been looking for a property like this one for 2.5 years and there isn't much that meets our criteria. We really would prefer to build from scratch.

There are views from the property and the are from the back of the house, but the best views are North and north-east.

Blue is doors, green is windows.

Note: If we do this we'd hire an architect familiar with remodels and hopefully find one too.

Any feedback for future resale would also be helpful or if there are anything better that could be done. We are trying to minimize costs, but are fine putting more in that worth if we can get a decent floorplan out of it.

1. Original plan

2. One option

3. Another option

Comments (9)