SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

Feedback on proposed renovation of 1957 ranch home?

smiles33
6 years ago

I hope this works! I'm trying to attach a photo of the preliminary draft plan for our renovation. It's a 1957 ranch home that has a weird layout. I don't have a sketch of the current layout, but we're trying to add a bedroom (the one labeled Judy), expand an existing small bathroom (it would become a 2 sink bathroom with a separate room for shower/toilet so the new bedroom can share it with the kids), add a 1/2 bath for guests, expand the kitchen, and open up the family room space.

The 2 kids' bedrooms and master suite won't be touched. There's also one bedroom above the western kids' room (it was an addition the previous owners did about 15-20 years ago). Hence, the stairway up.

Our priorities are to have a larger kitchen, capitalize on the views off the southern side of the house, add a 1/2 bath (we only have 2 bathrooms now so guests traipse through the master bedroom to get to the toilet when we have large parties), and improve the flow. The previous owner who sold it to us also did horrible "updates" (using a handyman, so unpermitted electrical and plumbing work that is shoddy!), so we need to clean up a lot of work, too.

My questions:

1) The architect proposed "flipping" the kitchen and family room because our current family room isn't very deep and we spend 90% of our awake moments there. Yet I'm cringing thinking of the cost of moving all the plumbing from that western wall of the house to the southern wall. We currently do not have anything (but electrical) by the southern wall where the proposed kitchen, new entry, new 1/2 bath, and new laundry/mud room are located. We are in a very high cost of living area--is this something that's going to cost me an arm and a leg? On the other hand, my husband points out that we hope to make this our "forever" house and age in place so it's worth paying more to get the layout we want.

2) I'm hoping it's somehow possible to move the laundry room/mudroom entry to the western wall entry. We regularly do laundry on weeknights after we both return home late from work. However, my husband is a very light sleeper and cannot sleep through the noise of the dryer going through its cycle (which I regularly do now as the load isn't completely finished before bed). I also think it's a bit peculiar to have 2 entry doors on the southern wall right next to each other. I think it would be confusing for guests (which door to approach) and a bit weird.

Instead, if we move the laundry room/mud room to the west wall, we could make the family room smaller (only 2 couches instead of 3). We might also shift the kitchen, 1/2 bath, and front entry to the east. The kitchen could have a longer width then (I think more counter space is always appreciated, especially since we host all the extended family holiday dinners with 25+ guests). I also think we wouldn't need a doorway to the back patio area. We could just go out through the mudroom. We could make that window by the dining room an extra wide window and have it open up as a "pass-through" if we end up moving the BBQ grill, smoker, and pizza oven back there.

The new expanded bathroom would have a no-threshold shower instead of a shower over bath, which is the current configuration.

Any and all feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)