SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anapana1983

Do miniature roses (Kordana) need full or part sun in zone 10B?

Ana
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all. Last week, i stumbled onto a gorgeous pot of bright red miniature roses at my local Walmart. Considering that only two were left in the whole display, i assumed they must've been pretty popular! The info marker attached does specify that they are of the Kordana variety and they were grown in Apopka, FL.

Now, i've been trying to read up on these particular roses, and i've found very little information on exactly how i should take care of them in my area when it comes to sun exposure in my zone. I understand that they are good for zones 5-9 and should be placed in full sun in those zones. But i'm in zone 10B and my yard faces north, so the flowers are exposed to sun from 12pm-6pm.

I don't want to cause heat stress for the roses if i continue to leave them out in the sun during that time, especially in the summer where the afternoon sun is brutal. It's worth mentioning that I do have another miniature rose plant that i got on clearance over a year ago (but the label was wiped off so i don't know the variety at all) and those sometimes get yellowish leaves. I've recently been told that that could be a sign of occasional heat stress.

So does anyone have any clue on what i should do? Should i leave them where they are or should i move them to the shadier area of my yard? Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Comments (12)