SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrierebekah

real wood flooring alternatives

carrierebekah
6 years ago

I want to upgrade my second floor carpet in my industrial/loft style townhome to a wood look-close-enough-alike alternative. id prefer a wood look vs stone not just because that is my preference but because it seems like for resale wood always trumps stone.

there are sooooo many options & opinions for hardwood alternatives. some people have horror stories with laminate, others say its held up perfectly for them. LVP sounds like an oxymoron, ceramic tile is another option, what else is out there?

because the two bathrooms upstairs are so small i worry not continuing the same flooring throughout would really cut them off, particularly the master bath because there is not a designated door (but I have considered installing a barn style door to slide into place over this area however most of the time this door would be open and the floor change visible).

i need something that can handle standard bathroom moisture, however we dont plan on having children & only have 2 cats whose claws have never been a real issue when i comes to damaging furniture or whatnot. unless there is a major leak or problem i dont foresee any standing water puddles in the bathrooms. the upstairs second bedroom is going to be a workout area so the bathroom shower/tub will probably never be used however my husband is concerned dropping a weight on the floor (even though i plan to have a lifting area covered in those rubber gym puzzle piece mats) will crack the tile options (my solution - dont ever drop them!). but if you have any experience with cracking/damaging tile or laminate or vinyl from weights or workout equipment it would be helpful.

for an idea of the rest of the home, the first floor is all sealed concrete. We are in Florida & the home cost was in the high $200s & i attached a photo of our floor plan. we plan to be in the home at least 5 years either because we are living there or use it as a rental property.

i dont necessarily care about the bedroom feeling 'warm' so am not against the various tile options except i know for resale i am the minority when i comes to wanting 'cozy' bedroom flooring. i have seen some near seamless/no visible grout line plank tile that at least in a photo looks just like hardwood so this is what interests me most.

what is your recommendation to unify the second floor & is there a way to keep all the flooring one waterproof/resistant material? or would you just deal with the flooring transitions and tile the bathrooms?

obviously the more like wood the more expensive it is. what products would you recommend that fit in with the value of the home? i have read that it is not wise to over upgrade because either it will be too specific to your personal taste or too expensive to recoup value during resale so unless you are going to enjoy a particular product for a long time its best to only spend what you can recoup.

Thanks

Comments (3)