SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustin_eubanks

Need to Revive Lawn, Kill Weeds, part II

Dustin
6 years ago

Hi All. To continue this conversation from the other thread I posted a while back ([here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-to-revive-lawn-kill-weeds-dsvw-vd~5123531)). I posted a soil lab test over there as well.

So, should I aerate my lawn? I have a sprinkler system & the electricity to the house runs underground, so I want to make sure that I do not damage anything. But I think aeration & then a topdressing would do me well here, to add some organic matter to the lawn. Another question -- what should I top-dress with, just use some compost from the local compost & mulch yard?

Regarding watering, I was told that running it for 10 minutes at a time is not going to do the trick (for healthy deap roots on the grass). However, the sprinkler system seems to put a lot of water on concrete (waste) as well as grass, despite my efforts to tune it, so I am hesitant to run it for too long. Any suggestions here?

Potassium Sulfate -- It was mentioned that I should get some of this to cure nutrient shortage, but I notice that it also raises pH. Since my pH is already high, would I be just creating a bigger problem for myself by using SOP ? Also, I have a bunch of charcoal ash saved from grilling -- could I just use this?

At the recommendation of another user, I bought some K-Mag and Milorganite. They also recommended a 'triple NPK' but I have not been able to find one locally. Any advice on how to go about applying these, like how often & how much?

I plan to also contact TAMU CES soon. Actually I did the other day, but she referred me to another department and I have not had time to follow up yet.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help & advice!

Comments (8)