SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best time of year to plant woodland wildflower corms like trilliums?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Can anyone advise on the best time of year to plant woodland wildflower corms like trilliums, jacks, and wild dicentras?

A year ago in May I ordered and planted a lot of bare root corms in my tiny woodland patch I am working on developing. Very few came up, as I believe the squirrels dug them up and ate them. They were certainly healthy
when I planted them. I didn't think they ate these (as how would they ever survive in the woods?!) , so I had not
protected them with wire mesh pinned down to the soil like I do my tulips. I'm thinking about re-ordering, but this time I would take appropriate anti-squirrel precautions. I am overrun with them, as neighbors (who do not garden) feed them.

Earlier, in years past, I had ordered white trilliums and jacks from at least 3 different nurseries: again, little success. Maybe 1 out of 4.

I know the squirrels accounted for some, but I can’t be sure it was all of the failures. Maybe it was the wrong time to plant?

I don’t think its the wrong environment, as the red trilliums I dug from my Mom’s yard when the place was sold 13+ years ago come up every year. They haven’t expanded much, but they are there.

I have gotten a couple in plant swaps in past years (in late May), but with little success in transplanting.

I would like to know the optimum time to order and plant the corms. I tend to think of planting bulbs in the fall, but I don’t know what is right for ephemerals.

Comments (7)