SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best time of year to plant woodland wildflower corms like trilliums?

Best time of year to plant woodland wildflower corms like trilliums, jacks, and wild dicentras?

A year ago in May I ordered and planted a lot of bare root corms in my tiny woodland patch I am working on developing. Very few came up, as I believe the squirrels dug them up and ate them. They were certainly healthy when I planted them. I didn't think they ate these (as how would they ever survive in the woods?!) , so I had not protected them with wire mesh pinned down to the soil like I do my tulips. I'm thinking about re-ordering, but this time I would take appropriate anti-squirrel precautions.

Earlier, in years past, I had ordered white trilliums and jacks from at least 3 different nurseries: again, little success. Maybe 1 out of 4.

I know the squirrels accounted for some, but I can’t be sure it was all of the failures. Maybe it was the wrong time to plant?

I don’t think its the wrong environment, as the red trilliums I dug from my Mom’s yard when the place was sold 13+ years ago come up every year. They haven’t expanded much, but they are there.

I have gotten a couple in plant swaps in past years (in late May), but with little success in transplanting.

I would like to know the optimum time to order and plant the corms. I tend to think of planting bulbs in the fall, but I don’t know what is right for ephemerals. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio