SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellohouse

Home Renovation: where to save and where to splurge

jellohouse
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm planning a major home remodel and thinking about where I can save on materials without compromising quality too much, and where I should splurge. Would love to get your feedback on this! Do you agree or disagree with my priorities?

Where to Save

• Kitchen cabinets: I've heard from many places that IKEA cabinets are good quality, and can be paired with doors from Semihandmade for a better appearance.
  • Bathroom vanities: same as above
  • Floor tile: I'm doing porcelain floor tile throughout as my home is in a warm, humid climate. I think this is not only a good choice for the climate but also cost-effective. Currently deciding between wood-look tile or terracotta-look tile, but either way should be no more than $3-$4 psf for tile and $4 psf for installation.
  • Appliances: I want a reliable range, refrigerator, washer and dryer but I don't need anything fancy like a huge sub-zero fridge or a six-burner range. All I really want from my appliances is that they don't break. I'm thinking brands like Kenmore or LG.

Where to Splurge

• Faucets: I'm thinking Kohler for all faucets. I've had cheap Chinese-made faucets in homes before, and in less than a year they show substantial wear and wear.
  • Toilets: I understand Toto toilets are the best quality?
  • Shower: I have the Hansgrohe raindance shower + handshower in my last home and I LOVE it. Definitely putting this in even though it's expensive.
  • Kitchen Countertops: I've lived in different homes with solid surface, laminate, marble, wooden, and quartz countertops. Quartz is by far my favourite for being maintenance-free and beautiful.
  • Glass Shower Partition: I really like how glass partitions make a bathroom feel more spacious, and you don't have to deal with cleaning gross shower curtains.

Comments (31)