SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Custom wood cabinets - What kind of paint to use?

Kendrah
6 years ago

We are getting custom made, painted wood cabinetry for our kitchen in our 160-year old house. We felt the catalytic finish process had too much of a plasticy look and feel for us. (Our house is filled with paint worn antiques, well worn original floors, and plaster walls that expand and contract with the weather and have cracks and lines even after recent painting. Nothing about our house has a highly polished look.)

Instead of a catalytic finish, our cabinet maker will use Benjamin Moore Advances Waterborne Interior Alkyd primer and paint, which will cure for a month in their shop before installation. When we visited the cabinet workshop, we saw a large kitchen that was off gassing before shipping to Martha's Vinyard. It was painted in this Ben Moore Advanced Alkyd. It looked gorgeous and felt fabulous to the touch. But, of course, it was still in the shop, which speaks nothing to how it wears. I realize that any painted surface isn't going to wear as well as other surfaces. And I'm cool with that.

Still, I'm curious what kind of paint others have used when going with a non-catalytic paint job on new wood cabinets?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022