SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qrazyguy

Front porch redo on 1970s townhouse

qrazyguy
6 years ago

Am looking for any good advice and ideas to spruce up the front of my home including paint colors, but what I most especially need now is a new front porch. The one I have now was poorly installed, it was done level with the ground and sidewalk leading to it, which resulted in an awkward step of a good 10 inches to get from the slab up into my front door. Also the slab was rebarred into the house foundation, and as the house has subsided over the years the slab now slopes downward toward the front door, causing dried mud and leaves to accumulate there.

Would like to do a new porch where the entire slab is 7 inches from the ground, you would step up from the sidewalk onto a wide threshold and then just another couple of inches into the door. I'd like to use some brick either as on the edge of a new slab to mark the step, or have the entire porch be made of brick. Am wondering if I would need to match the brick to the light pink of the house or if I can use a darker red. I'd also like to extend the brick all along the sidewalk to the right to make a new raised bed between it and the house. I'd like to bring in another 4-5 inches of soil there, that is how much topsoil has eroded from around my foundation since it was originally built 45 years ago.

A pergola or some kind of roof overhang would be great too! It's difficult to visualize all of these ideas together though. Any ideas are very welcome!

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

porch · More Info

Comments (13)