SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenscott90

Aisle width around island-keep pantry cabinets or widen aisles?

Jen S
6 years ago
We are in the planning stages of a major kitchen renovation which will double the length of our kitchen, but the width will remain the same (due to a centrally located staircase).

As of right now, we have 12"'deep pantry cabinets planned on one blank wall, which restricts a small portion of that aisle to 36", about 1/3 of the length of the island. It's a short way, and doesn't bother me a lot. The issue really is that the working side of the island has to also be 36" in this arrangement.

1.The wall behind the cabinets is 3" from the structure that supports the stairs, so we can't inset the cabinets for a flush/built in look.

2.The island is 10' long, 3'6" wide and any skinnier and I think it will look odd. I want to keep the island wider.

3. I have a small closet (24" deep by 4' wide) close enough to the area to serve as a small pantry if I have to use it.

Question: Would you live with the smaller aisles to keep the pantry cabinets or eliminate them and scoot the island over to gain 6" on each aisle? This leaves a blank wall, shelves won't be possible due to the clearance, but artwork can be placed there.

I'd lose a lot of storage to eliminate them, but does anyone have experience with a small working side aisle if I keep them? How restrictive would it be?

Thanks!

Comments (5)