SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaf86

Help picking a laminate: durability and color suggestions

kaf86
6 years ago

Hi all,

I have some questions about the durability of various laminate brands.

My husband is wanting a water resistant variety and has so far ok-ed Aquagaurd and Pergo (I haven’t read great things about Pergo though). I’m concerned that only looking at water resistant is overkill given that it’s not going in bathrooms or kitchen. And I’m not finding any colors I like in his approved brands.

He also thinks we need an AC4 or AC5 wear rating. These look to be rated for commercial buildings. So is that not also overkill for a home? We are pet heavy (3 dogs and 3 rabbits) and plan to have a kid in the future.

Where he is picky about durability, I’m being super picky about color. The only thing I’ve seen that I like from the samples we’ve brought home is Décor’s Brown Walnut (pic of it and inspiration pics below) but this is AC3 and not water resistant. I like the color because it has a little bit of red/warmth to it without being super red like some I've seen. I like the darker browns as well but the samples we've brought home have looked really dark in our house. So I liked this one as it wasn't too dark brown or too red IMO.

Could ya’ll offer me any insight on what to look for durability wise. Suggestions on what brands to look for in which colors that might match my inspiration would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (6)