SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

Aaaaack!! Demo. What was your reaction to your demo? How did you cope?

2ManyDiversions
6 years ago

We’ve been so excited about our renovation; planning and imagining how much easier, nicer, and NEWER everything would be, but in the back of our minds “the process” loomed always before us. DH and I will be ‘doing it ourselves’ for all the demo and a good part of the reno, hiring out only what we are totally incapable of doing. You’d think demo would be exciting! Instead, it’s just hard, dirty, and laborious. I’m seeing the destruction and removal of what I’ve lived in and loved (but more recently disliked) for 20 years… I’m finding it bittersweet. I’m also finding an inordinate amount of nails.

(And so it begins… )

Photos for uploading · More Info

Knowing we will be living in this ‘mess’ for some time is already bothering me (I’m guessing a year+ as most our subs are backed up with new construction after the massive fires our area suffered last year, and all work DH and I do must be weekends only as we both work full time). I’m sure if we rented a place to stay it’d be far easier, but we are attempting to save money so we can afford to do more and prefer to stay on premise to keep an eye on the work. Even our yard is now a desolate wasteland of dirt and half-grown sickly-pale patchy grass as we also are re-landscaping and prepping for a new patio. Just digging holes for 10-12 new trees seems unbearably daunting. Perhaps we bit off a bit more than we could chew?

(DH with leaf blower… ok, not DH…)

One room will remain untouched – the bedroom. {Well, not entirely untouched, but let’s not go there, wink wink}. All other rooms not renovated in this first leg have boxes/furniture in them. At some point we’ll move the fridge into the bedroom. Ugh. The bathrooms remain untouched for this round, and by that I mean they are filthy as I am too exhausted to clean them just now. They haven’t been cleaned in… {I’m type-mumbling, that’s why you can’t read it}.

DH and I are finding unpleasant surprises… After ripping ancient carpeting up to the tiled areas, we see tile (which we will also remove) installed over old linoleum in a strange layer-cake affect (and there is underlayment under the linoleum that also must come up). Whaaaa???

(I know you see a resemblance)

There are other issues, but we are attempting to remain positive, knowing all will be amended.

As I pack up the last of the kitchen (oh-$#!%-we-still-have-the-kitchen-to-demo!), I’m still in the process of putting together a movable temp-kitchen. The plastic chairs we sit in seem like tiny torture devices and leaky paper plates and cups are the norm now, which is fitting as meals now also taste like paper plates.

(again, I know you see the resemblance)

Oddly, I’ve only got 2 storage containers filled: paper and plastic, and liquor/wine. At least my priorities are intact ; )

(Not Me, but could be at this point)

Sore, bruised, blisters forming, and sleep-deprived, it’s rather depressing. My new constant companions and bestest friends are the broom and shop vac. Social life consists of watching our dog to make sure she doesn’t swoop down and devour a stray nail or staple when we let her out of her play area, and picking unidentifiables from her fur like a family of monkeys. Even listening to music on our little bluetooth speaker is torturous, the echoes deafening against the bare walls and floors. And I want to shower every hour. Last night I begged DH to shower, feeling a pang of guilt as I watched him slump-shouldered and barefooted - too weary to put on his shoes - walk across splintery, forever-filthy plywood subfloors.

Sweeping the floors for the 3rd time yesterday– and perhaps in a state of dust-induced delirium- I started humming phrases from innocuous but now seemingly sinister songs: The Carpenters’ (how apropos!) “We’ve only just begun…” The Talking Heads’ “And you may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house!”. This morning, vacuuming plywood at 6:00am (not kidding) I found myself humming The Animals’ House of the Rising Sun… “There is a house in New Orleans (insert my town) they call the rising sun… And it’s been the ruin of many a poor boy (except I was thinking girl) and god I know I’m one…”

(Me, with shop vac this morning… What, you don’t believe me? I’m also holding my fancy ‘integrated’ nail gun)

And mistakes. None yet, but the probabilities now plague my dreams. I know these feelings will change as work progresses, but for now… Aaaaack!!

How did you react when you first began your demo, and in what ways did you cope?

OT: If you aren’t doing demo, can you think of any songs relating to renovations that are somehow fitting which we can sing whilst working (much like Snow White’s little friends did – I’m feeling very grumpy-like)?

…and For Those About To Rock! (start you own demo), oh, don’t worry! It gets better {she mutters, unconvincingly}…

Comments (32)