SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ned_b

Exterior Improvements to 1920s Home

A Fox
6 years ago

We are currently in the process to buy a 1928 historic house. Nothing guaranteed yet, but we've started thinking about what we would want this house to look like as our home. It sort of an eclectic mix of Tudor Revival and Swiss Chalet, with wood shingles instead of half timbering, and scalloped barge boards on each of the wall dormers in a way that I've never seen in a Tudor Revival house.

We have a few initial ideas. For instance that we hate the stop light red, yellow, green color scheme. Instead we are thinking something more neutral with the trim and shingles the same color. I think I'd also lose what I think is a 1950s era wrought iron faux balcony over the door. We also would tweak the landscaping a bit, especially the crab apple that is blotting out one entire half of the house, but would you trim and thin it out, or try something new there? Lastly, we would someday like to enclose the breezeway between house and garage so that it's truly attached to the house.

But more so, I'm curious what ideas everyone here has. What improvements would you make to this house (while maintaining it's historic character). Pictures are from the listing. I've attached several winter shots because they more clearly explain what the house looks like. Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)