SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_peony

A Short List of Proposed Trees and Plants Zone 7b

pink_peony
6 years ago

We met with a landscape architect for our new space today. He gave me a short list of trees and plants based off my vision. I know NOTHING about gardening so this list kinda means nothing to me. I told him I wanted a neat and tidy yard. Green shrubs with flowers in front of those. I said think English garden( I think.) Criteria FAST Growing. I said I love boxwood trimmed neatly. I would love some Hostas. I want hydrangeas , although I had poor results from Endless Summer that was put in our last yard. I said I love Peonies. I want flowering bushes that have a long bloom season. I want shrubs that will produce some privacy but I don't want holly or juniper as I am allergic. I would love evergreen but have come to realize there is no tree I like that is evergreen so instead the less messy tree that grows fast and is considered a trunk/shade tree. No Crepe Myrtle and NO pear. Can't stand the mess! I would like vibrant green shrubs and flowers in pinks, blues, whites and yellows. Don't care for red.

This is the list he gave us.

Green Vase Zelkova

Princeton Elm

Superior Hydrid Poplar

Boxwood

Annabelle Hydrangea

Cherry Laurel

Knock Out Roses

Debutante Camelia

Endless Summer Hydrangea

Lavender Rhododendron

Limelight Hydrangea Tree

Nikko Blue Hydrangea

Skip Laurel

I looked up the first item , Boxwood and see there are several varieties and ALL of them are extremely slow growing.......sigh. Look up Hybrid Poplar and see that they can bloom a white fuzzy substance that is highly messy and can get caught in everything and can actually ruin HVAC units........Sigh. See Endless Summer on the list even though I told him we had very poor results with them in our last home. They never reached anything over two feet high and in 11 years had four years where they didn't bloom at all.......sigh. Don't see any privacy type shrubs/bushes on the list.........sigh. No Peonies on the list.........Knock out roses which appear RED in all the pictures I find......sigh.

Am I asking for too much?

Feelings on this list?

Suggestions?

Comments (21)