SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvanderbeken

Would like to remodel the wall holding A/V equipment

Kay
6 years ago

It's time to revamp this wall in our family room, so we can mount a big screen TV and eliminate all the outdated A/V systems. (Most of our TV watching is done in our play room upstairs, but this room is off the kitchen so it's definitely an entertainment space.) As you can see from the photo, there are a couple bump-outs from the wall. These are constructed from dry wall with rounded corners.

The window seats come out 19" from the wall, with storage inside. I'd like to keep those.

The bump-out holding the A/V equipment is 6' wide, 5.5' tall, and 24" deep. That's a heating vent close to the floor. The boxes above the TV are 12" deep. Ignore the accessories; I took down the Christmas decorations, but haven't spent time replacing them. Yes, that's a train on the carpet--also temporary!

So my question is: can I get away with simply installing new drywall where the TV and components are now? That would result in a 72" long by 60" tall space. I could build a couple drawers or a couple shelves under the TV.

The next question is how large a TV can I purchase? A 72" TV requires 66" of length and 38" of height. Is that too wide (66" vs. 72") in the space? What would be the max width you'd recommend? I think the height would work--the top of the TV would be 5' off the floor?

Or do you think this box design has run its course? I'd like to simply buy new accessories (which I could use some help with as well!). FYI, we have a fireplace the left wall that also goes floor to ceiling.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions