SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Help With Basic Bathroom Flooring Question -Pros and Cons of Materials

Helen
6 years ago

I'm doing a gut remodel of my apartment which includes the master bath and guest bath.

Although my designer is quite knowledgable about materials and construction techniques, I want to be as educated as possible so that I can ask the right questions to make a truly informed decision since most of the options are a balance of some kind whether that be aesthetics versus functionality; cost.

I am attaching the design board for the master bath - red censored blocks are items that have no relevance to the master bath. As currently designed, the shower would have a very subtle design which would be framed with the copper accent tiles. The design reads "louder" than it looks in person but I am not tied to the design at this point.

My concerns with the master bath are weighing safety - aesthetics - maintenance/functionality.

In terms of the design, I am a single woman and I don't really care about resale value as I have no plans to move and if someone future buyer doesn't like what I've done so be it. I wanted a feminine but not cloyingly "girly" look. I am ripping out the horrid tub/shower and replacing it with a larger shower.

I am designing with aging in place being important.

The original materials are for marble - smaller marble tile on the actual shower floor and larger with some kind of "period" design on the floor. Although my design aesthete is eclectic, I tend towards Art Nouveau/Art Deco as my inspiration. I might have hints of Chinoiserie in the master bedroom in terms of an accent wall behind the bed - perhaps one wall of paper or perhaps a wall of paper from the Bradbury wallpaper line as I find some of their William Morris wallpaper stunning.

I have been reading so much my head is kind of swimming in terms of how to evaluate. For example, on the critical issue of slipperiness, it appears that small tile in on the shower floor is fine because the grout provides lots of "grip" - but then does one run into horrendous upkeep of the grout? Does one get epoxy grout - sanded or unsanded.

Should I switch to porcelain tile which is less aesthetic but perhaps lower in upkeep and less slippery? But then I read that people have opted for tiles which are slightly "rough" but they are a nightmare to attempt to clean because they also catch dirt.

Does one opt for sealing marble? Does that make it more slippery? I don't do anything insane like dye my hair in the shower so I would just have the normal shampoo/conditioner and liquid soap for body cleansing?

Am I missing any issues in terms of how to consider my options in the best way. I am getting information but I can't seem to consolidate it so that I can ask the right questions and then arrive at a cost/benefit analysis so that I feel I've made the best choice for my circumstances - understanding that everyone has different circumstances and priorities.

Thanks for any help in helping me understand the pros and cons of my various options. Although cost is always a factor, it's a small space so the cost of materials is less significant than in a larger place. My advice has been that the cost of labor is going to be a major factor and I am assuming that the cost of labor would be more or less the same whatever material is used since cheap flooring and wall tiles would cost as much to install as more expensive materials.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia