SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin_spaulding75

Kitchen remodel issue

Hoping to get some ideas! We’re redoing our kitchen & have run into a dilemma... currently w have an L-shaped 1/2 wall/island

that divides the small kitchen from the small dining room. We want to open up the whole area & have 1 big kitchen but have an issue. The electric to the Island runs up & over an archway that we’d like to get rid of & originally intended to bury the electric & also change the shape of the island from ‘L’ to rectangular. Unfortunately I cannot find extra tile or a perfect match so looking for some ideas. Our current tile is OK and throughout 80% of the house we don’t want to re-tile at this point

1. I found a tile match that is very acceptable but is 20 x 20 and our tile is 18 x 18 with beveled edges. Any ideas on how to deal with a height mismatch? Regrout the entire floor? Tile people have told me sanding it down isn’t a great option..

2. Any ideas on how to run the electric to the island without extra tile? Any recommendations on the Archway if we need to keep it to maybe make it more aesthe pleasing? or cut a trench & put in a decorative strip over it?

I’ve exhausted all resources in attempting to find a tile match, I even contacted the original contractors but they were unable to help. Any other tips on finding a tile match?

Thanks for any ideas & tips!!

Comments (17)