SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiltsey

What's worth doing renovation-wise?

Scott Wiltsey
6 years ago

We built our home new in 2003.... About 4700 sq. ft., 5 BR, 5 full BA. Market value is probably in the $650,000 range. We have made very few upgrades during the past 15 years; however, we are now about 2-4 years from selling the house, as our kids will all be off to college and we simply don't need this sized house and expense. I'd like to start some renovations now so we have a chance to enjoy them, and not just do the renovations for the next owner.

The question is, what renovations are going to be worth it to tackle? For example ---

1.) What are thoughts on hardwoods.... Outside of our family room and guest bedroom which are carpet, the entire 1st floor is hardwood -- 2nd and third are all carpet, except for the bathrooms, which are all tile. Most of the newer houses are using the wide boards, hand scraped, etc.. We have the standard 2" oak planks with a natural finish. From what you see in the market, is it worth it to just refinish the hardwoods we have (and maybe darken them up) and lay down some additional matching hardwoods in place of carpet...? Or, tear out all the existing hardwood and go with wider board, etc. I'm not sure I would be a fan of mix and match... different types of hardwood on different floors.

2.) White cabinets in the kitchen. We have maple cabinets... Was thinking about painting them white to freshen up the look. Thoughts? Still going to be "in" within the next 3-4 years?

3.) Taking out the built-in tub/jacuzzi and framed shower and replacing with a frameless walk-in shower - and either doing away with a tub entirely, or going with a smaller, free-standing tub.

4.) If we already have tile in the bathrooms - is it worth it to replace with more modern tile?

5.) Cultured marble countertops -- assume this would be a no-brainer to replace with granite?

Comments (13)