SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilb5azone

Advice for my Aloe plants?

April(zone 5a)
6 years ago
So most of my aloes sit in a window (Southside) which gets most of the bright sun light (expect the passed month, seeing as its Winter) ((I need to write on the calander when I water my plants)) the soil is not wet, it is alittle damp., so I assume its because of the light.
All my aloe is in cactus soil with perlite, and more than 85% of them are doing fine.
So, too much light? too much or too little water?
When the leaves bend, is there anyway at all to save those leaves at all or no? Also when the tip of the leaves become 'flat' do I need to water more? or why are they like that?

Comments (29)

• elucas101
    6 years ago

From the photos and your description I would say definitely too much water and possibly not enough light.

Since you said you aren't watering that often but the soil is staying wet I would do a few things if they were mine.

Reduce the size of the pot - it is too large for plants that small - get something more proportionate for the size plant and its root system. The extra pot room without roots to take up all that space keeps the soil wet longer.

Don't let pots sit in / on saucers full of water - I can't tell from your photos but since they are indoors it's more likely they are on saucers and if so, that will continue to wick up moisture if they aren't emptied. If not then that's good.

Add even more perlite. This will help increase your drainage so the soil won't stay damp as long.

When the leaves droop I don't know if they will recover - if the plant health improves they might, they might be too far gone though, hard to say. The leaves becoming flat, my best guess is they may be stretching for light.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes to everything elucas said, they look too wet...I would add some grit - but that is JMO...

• Related Discussions

Need advice for my overgrown aloe

Q

Comments (4)
    The cacti & succulents forum is probably more appropriate, not that this is the wrong forum, but it would be better to ask advice somewhere with lots of people that know cacti and succulents very well. Also, if you post there, ask about pruning it. I believe it is possible and would solve your "hanging over the side" thing. If it is possible maybe you can train it upright into tree form afterwards?
    ...See More

My $6 Aloe Vera score..now I need advice

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi OO, I'll make it simple. These are hardy, rugged plants, one needn't worry or look to be so precise & exact for them. I grow indoors only in NYC & my kitchen window is all Aloes on a West windowsill on top of a working radiator. Bottom line -- the maximum light you can give it (starting gradually of course); can be direct sun, but also fine w/ bright indirect. I tend to leave mine alone & pretty much ignore them. I'd suggest you do nothing to yours for at least a month, let them become accustomed to their new home, then maybe into a terra cotta pot, especially if you tend to overwater (don't know if you do or not, a general suggestion). FYI: in these plant circles of ours AV = African Violets, almost always; otherwise we just say Aloes or Aloe vera, but save AV for African Violet (see how long that is, that's why we say AV). Hi Jonas, FYI, your mix looks kind of peaty, if it were my plant, I'd change that mix to something much more gritty or if that's all you've got, I'd add at least 40% perlite or pumice to make it fast draining; that mix looks slow to drain, which increases chances of rot. Having explained above that I only grow indoors, in MY home, brown on Aloes would be a possible sign of rot, brown on Aloes is NOT a good thing, tho' you seem to think it is. Brown is not a winter color for Aloes (unless I misunderstand your post). They're supposed to be green like in the pix you've shown, not brown (at least when grown indoors). I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove the pups; I like to ensure they're old enough to move out on their own before I do that & also, aesthetically, I prefer the look of the crowded pot like yours.
    ...See More

My cat nibbles on my aloe plant. Can this hurt her?

Q

Comments (3)
    The ASPCA does list aloe as toxic to cats. My cat chews a lot of house plants and cut flowers if he doesn't have his own. Try buying her pet grass so she has something safe to eat. You can also grow large flats from seed. If she's an indoor cat, she'll probably also enjoy laying in it.
    ...See More

In need of aloe plant advice!

Q

Comments (1)
    Nope - you’re doing fine. That’s how they grow planted in the ground, too.
    ...See More
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

And light is definitely a factor. What direction does your window face and how far from the window are the plants? Plants kept inside actually get more direct sun in the winter than in the summer due to the tilt of the earth's axis. During the summer, my south window barely gets any direct sun inside due to the sun being more overhead. I live in the Northern hemisphere.

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My neighbor was looking at these and said the aloe is pretty much fine, but a little sun burned. He said the soil is dry, just a little cold. So what I thought was wetness is just coldness.
    I put them in those size pots because of the size of the root systems. But I think I will take a one or two of the smallest ones out and repot them, or should I just completely repot them all? not only was the root system a factor, but space kind of is too, like window space. bigger pots, more plants in them, more plants getting sun light... Maybe I should have gotten a pot that is big/wide but not very deep?.
    I let the water go thru, then dump that water.
    My mixture is 50/50, do you think I should still add more perlite?
    This window is on the South side. Its the brightest room in my house all year round. (I live in zone 5a, Dane County Wisconsin)
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

Well, April, I used to live south of you in Rockford. You are doing better than I did because your plants are still alive! LOL You know when the forecast says 10-20% chance of sunshine, it's hard to get enough light to your plants. I didn't know about plant lights back then, so I just gave up trying to grow succulents.

One way to check on the water in your soil is with a skewer, chopstick or even a toothpick. Insert it to the middle of the pot, wait a minute and pull it out to see if it is damp. If not obvious, placed against your cheek, it will feel cool or cold when damp. If it is damp, don't water. You want to test the soil down where the roots are. Often the top of the soil feels dry, but it is not dry down below.

My plants are in the sun all year round, but when I transplant they can get a little droopy for a week or two. That's why I don't remove pups or babies until they are pretty good size and have a head start. Just my preference, but bigger babies have more energy stored up for the transplant.

Do you have other succulents? Supplemental lighting may be good for you. I'll let others advise you on that.

Good luck!

• laticauda
    6 years ago

How far away from the window are they? Even 6 inches makes a big difference in the amount of available light.

Also, I use the skewer method and water when I can rub my fingers together on the end of the skewer then against eachother and if the dirt crumbles dry instead of feeling moisture.

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have been told not to transplant pups to early, but with WI Winters (right now we have small pellets of hail) taking so long to get over (I do like winter (12/22 baby right here), but I also really like my plants) and my Mom calls me 'garden hungry' as in I gotta plant something, anything...

Most are right by the window...well maybe like an inch or two lower, but still right there.

I bought skewers for this exact reason, have been using some for my other plants, but haven't used them for my aloe, not sure why tho. (Think I will put one by each area that has plants that way I remember to use them)
    I have a light (just a regular 25watt led bulb, someone recommended) I have been using for my Jade. Then I was told natural light would be better for that plant... I've still been using both tho.

I have Jade, Aloe, Christmas Cactus, 2 prickly pears, peperomia nevada, 3 cacti and 1 succulent I'm not sure of the names. As far as I can remember thats it (I'm outside feeding 'my' stray cats at the moment right now, such sweet little things)

Do you know if houseplants have 'companions'? like in gardening there's companion planting, helping eachother out....do houseplants have that too?
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

I've wondered the same thing but never found a definitive answer. Have they recently been moved? If not and they've been getting adequate light, they are just stretching due to the drought conditions and just need some time to build up some root structure to help ease the dehydration stress. It's a fine line between dehydrating and overwatering at this stage. I rot more plants this way than probably any other way: rooting cuttings/leaves/pups at this vulnerable stage.

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They have been moved, right after I repotted them all I put them closer to the window.

They get sunburned when they're in the sun too long. They sit right under the brightest window in my house, we've had a few really bright days in the last month., cold but bright. Sometimes when things are cold, they can feel wet....

laticauda, I will repot them (again) as soon as it start warming up (sadly we just got like 4-6inches more of snow) when I do this, should I add in more perlite? or just use the same soil (I have premade cactus&perlite soil for easier/faster repotting), but smaller pots?
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

Rina may be right about the water stress. Is it possible the bottom of the pot is still very wet for a longer time than is appropriate? If these were given to me like this, I would, right now, dump everything out and take the plants out and look at their roots. You can pot them all together and crowd them into one or two smaller pots. I had a bunch that I pulled out of an overcrowded pot and I stuck them into this pot. It doesn't hold enough water (or for long enough? Not sure which) in my opinion.

There's one in here that has a lot less roots than the others (not in there as tightly with the tug test) and it's turning a gross translucent color like that. But your pot is really big and those babies are much deeper inside and it's also mostly peat based and mine is mostly perlite in a /*edit/ *clay pot. It dries out so quickly.

it's hard to see it in the picture but one right up front (gets the intense evening sun) looks very similar to the freshly implanted babies You have. It's also possible that the little plants need to be watered more often than the big pot will allow. So the pot is soggy but the lite plants aren't able to reach the fluids due to lacking the roots to support themselves with short sips of water.

• laticauda
    6 years ago

Editted to fix "clay pot"

It's actually a rather deep standard size 8 inch clay pot. Maybe it's a 10 inch pot, I'll have to measure.

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I suppose it could be possible it stays wet longer... I'll make sure to dump the excess water as soon as it is done draining. I did leave one of those pots in the window, I did come to the conclusion that the redness is because of too much light, as the others I removed from the bright light have started to slowly get their green color back. I will be closely watching this one, as it sits out of direct light. But I think I will definitely do what you mentioned, re-potting all the small ones into the same pot, just not a pot as tall as the ones they're in now..

• laticauda
    6 years ago

I let mine be red, it's saying it's getting as much light as it can get without burning. That's exactly how much light they should be getting, IMO.

Yours were a very light green, very full of water. I had one stretched out like that but it was much more "hard" and less squishy looking than your plants, not so see-through. However, the normal pup that's just in very intense light and is newly transplanted and is having a harder time than the rest of its siblings because it didn't have the root structure adequate to support it or something happened with my substrate or watering or I didn't bury the roots deep enough. So many different variables. But I digress.

In conclusion, maybe that's in these guys' future and it's just a process (hardening up and becoming more vinyl-like).

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't even think about that. I was just reading a diary/journal entry and apparently, last Summer, they sat outside and some got red, and then redder, and then burned, dying... So I wonder if I was subconsciously telling myself to take it out of the light before that happens again..idk, my mind is weird...I mean it kind of makes sense tho.

Anyways...

Full of water is good. Is 'squishy' good, or should they be 'harder'? 'Not so see-through'... being see through is bad for aloe...right?, it means they aren't getting enough water? or too much..?

((sorry if these questions seem dumb, sometimes I have a harder time understanding things, so I ask more questions (usually resulting in people getting angry with me)))

I hope you figure out your Aloe.

Also, what is the plant/Cactus by your Aloe??

And thank you so much for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it.

• laticauda
    6 years ago

Well, they look like they are about to burst (not typically desirable in plants) and I believe this is why they look very see through.

Here is an updated picture of mine. I just watered them today. Many of these plants are barely burried so they don't get access to as much water as the ones more toward the center and deeper in the pot. They are all rather hard looking because they are dehydrated from lack of water. If I had to guess, yours are dehydrated from too much water? I'm just trying to feel it out, understand what the plants are telling us. I think we make a good pair, you and I ;)

They are red because they are getting a lot of sun and not much access to water to help cool them down. The red color is from anthocyanins that act as a sunscreen. They are in a very gritty mix and a clay pot so opposite conditions than your plants are in.

Without flash:

With flash;

closer in, with flash:
    the other succulent in the pot with them is Huernia grandiflora. I used to have two "hands" of it in this pot but left it outside for too long and the other hand got got by frost damage so when I pulled that out of the pot and had these from another pot, I just threw the Aloe pups in the pot to root. I should probably pot them up individually and sell them for some actual money.

• User
    6 years ago

April sounds like you are in good hands! mine looked like yours in Dec. but it's starting to turn around. Make sure there are no other leaves blocking or hanging above the aloe. Don't be afraid to leave it dry for a few extra days or even until the plant shows you it's thirsty. In a few months they'll be healthy and strong. please update this summer so we know how they turned out:)

Outside stressing nicely

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely don't want them to burst. Too much water, then maybe I'll do what Matt said, try to leave it dry for a few extra days, or until they start telling they're thirsty. I think I'll pick the pots up before watering, that way I can get a feel for how heavy they are when dry., like you said trying to feel it out, understand what they're saying to us. I think I'll add another cup or two of perlite when I repot all of them. Thanks, I do too!

I'm gonna have to do my research on anthocyanins. (Sometimes I wish they would naturally be red like what yours looks like without flash.) I'm sure you could sell quite a bit, I would, but I wanna get them healthy, well healthier than they are right now. (I have a thread/post about my Dieffenbachia's, so right now I have quite a bit of them, if I can get them all to survive I think I'll try and sell some of them) (and sadly I'm kinda selfish when it comes to my plants and animals... I feel bad that I'm like that, so I'm trying to change that).

The Huernia grandiflora looks awesome, think I'm gonna have to check out the nurseries around, see if any of them have these... The main one I go to, just got a BUNCH of new plants, but NONE of what I was looking for. :/ That's what I accidentally did with my Diefs, let them outside, and I didn't realize it froze that night, so now I am trying to save and root them... I once potted a few things together, then when I went to repot all the roots were tangled together, and by the time I was done untangling them.....not a lot of roots were left, and I was trying to be as careful as I could be.

Matt, thank you. I think I'm in good hands too:) What do you mean blocking or hanging above the aloe? And I think I will do that, leave them dry for a few days. I've noticed some of the aloe likes being outside, and some don't. Which is weird. (But we just got 5-6 inches of snow, and its not melting:( or warming up, so putting them outside is a no-go, even putting in our breezeway is a bad idea)

I will definitely update you on how they turn out. :)

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This has nothing to do with the aloes we have been talking about... but I just wanted to show you all my biggest Aloe. (Which I am very proud of because as I said its my biggest)
    It sits in the same window the others sat in, but for a lot longer.
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Did they all come from the same pot and you divided them up?

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I got this one a long time ago...couple years ago. I have 2 other big ones, the smaller ones were babies/pups from those. Honestly as far as I remember, they have all been in different pots...

• laticauda
    6 years ago

Every time I water my pot of pups i wonder how yours are coming along? Mine have turned green again and lost that stressed brown/red color for the most part.

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

posting a picture for you

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    1 of them could be doing better. But they are back to their green color. Looking and feeling (hoping they are) much better.
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

They look so much better! Congratulations!

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

April

This is not to be negative, but I think you can do still better: last photo is showing plants in a mix that has hardly any perlite; plants would probably do better and look better if there was more mix in the container = potted not so deep/low inside of it. I am assuming that container has drainage holes.

1st photo shows mix with more perlite, but plants look quite buried in it. You could add more mix (and even more perlite), but do not just pile it up on the plants.

I am looking only at the photos (sometimes doesn't really shows exactly what is going on), and want to give suggestions to help. Hope that is how you read this :)

• April(zone 5a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It has quite a bit of perlite in it, most of it just isn't on the top., I will add a little bit more to it tho.

And the roots on those in the last picture go quite deep and are long...actually the 2 biggest ones in that pot are connected by one big long root., most, if not all, of the little ones in it are their babies.

As for the first picture, (I also just looked at the pot again) its just the angle, the soil is maybe less than 1/2inch from the top of pot.

• laticauda
    6 years ago

I took some pictures of the more mature Aloe chinensis* that i have. *(that's what I know these as, they are different from my barbadensis so I can't call them the same thing no matter what the nomenclature people say. If anyone has anything to say about this to illuminate the subject, I'm more than eager to hear /read/ what you have to say about it.)*

One is variegated that i got from woodnative a few years ago. Its had it rough but I like it and for being in a scorching hot area missing most of its potting media from the rain i think it looks pretty good. I'm not sure yet if that one pup on the right is parasitic or not so I'm waiting to see how that one goes before deciding to remove it.

All the babies in the other photos came from the smaller, all-green one. It was so over-crowded. I probably should have buried the neck/stem more but it won't die if I don't.

Flash:

No flash:

Side views:

Variegated

Unvariegated

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations