SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanna_stonechapel

Boxes of…what?! Ideas please!!!

Joanna
6 years ago

When you walk into our house this is what you see! At the top of the stairs are two giant, empty “boxes", part of the original 1990s architecture. I believe they were originally intended for plants but anything sticking above the top of them will be in the way of the view out the window. Any ideas on what I can do with them? Or put inside? Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (37)

• Bonnie Muehleman Zone 5b No IL
    6 years ago

We added granite to the top of our planter boxes.

Joanna thanked Bonnie Muehleman Zone 5b No IL
  • Related Discussions

Need your creative idea for window boxes, please...

Q

Comments (4)
    I knew you'd come up with great ideas! I've seen a picture with one made from a shutter but had forgot about it. Like the idea about bicycle baskets and old tool boxes and chalk board paint. A little town near me is having their "town yard sale" this Saturday and boy is it always big, big, big. Found lots of treasures last year. Thanks for your replies and ideas!
    ...See More

Candy Wrappers - box of mints- ideas please

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi SunflowerMom, I'm not good at poems but would like to suggest that just a picture of decorations, trees, snowmen, etc. would be just fine. If nothing else, wrap in red or green foil paper, tie with a pretty ribbon (curling ribbon is an idea) and slip a sprig of real or faux greenery with some berries under the ribbon. Sal
    ...See More

Zone 8A flower box ideas needed

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Morningloree, I was just reading earlier about her suggestion the crinum lily. Here is a somewhat local Nursery that sells them and I am linking you to the flower page however they also have a link on their site about where their crinum lilies grow in the USA. You can zoom in on the map. Check it out if you're interested! I was considering ordering from them after tqtqtbw suggested them above. The root system sounds a bit intimidating however I think it would be a wonderful to have one or two of these in my yard! https://jenksfarmer.com/shop/
    ...See More

Sueb, College Care Box Ideas

Q

Comments (10)
    I dont actually think my son wants 'cute' and if he did he wouldnt get it from me, so maybe I just raised him with low expectations of my craftiness. In fact, while he did get a care package mailed to him, the impetus was the call saying, "Mom I need more sensors(for his continuous glucose monitor, he is a Type 1 Diabetic). It's not like I could skip the care package at that point.
    ...See More
  • Donna Laliberte
    6 years ago
    4 Lake Shore Rd, Salem, NH 03079
    Joanna thanked Donna Laliberte
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great idea, redsilver! Too funny, too!

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Bonnie! That could improve it. I wonder what the idea was behind this kind of design.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I'd finish the stair railing and spindles and get rid of the boxes.

Joanna thanked shirlpp
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with you, shirlpp, except it houses the closet at the bottom of the stairs which is very much needed. And the foyer is already so huge, removing the boxes would make it crazy-big for the style of the house. But I really do appreciate you taking the time to think about it and comment!

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I should have been more clear and said to not take out the closets but to try to create a angle at the top which would entail cutting the boxes and topping them off.

In this picture notice the angles at the ceilings for the closets. You'd create an angle like this but it would not go to the ceiling. I was thinking it would fit in with your architecture.

Entry hall · More Info

Joanna thanked shirlpp
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, now I get it what you mean! Of course! Rather than wracking my brain trying to think of what to do with them, I can simply chop off the boxes but still leave the closet section. Funny how sometimes we don't see the obvious. THANKS, shirlpp!

• suezbell
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The purpose of this design likely began as a perceived need for framing in order to keep the stair rail sturdy for safety reasons -- and to do so without a floor to ceiling post at the top of the stairs. It was probably easer and cheaper and more practical to create a decorative purpose rather than add side cabinet doors at that height.

You could use it as an umbrella stand or a place for faux flowers but I like the idea of creating a hidden cabinet for a lock box better.

Joanna thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    6 years ago

Don't know if this would work for you, but if the "boxes" were lighten up at the top, it would make a big difference. You would still have a unusable platform, but at least it wouldn't be so overbearing overhead.

Joanna thanked Atelier Marchand
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

Awww, like a balcony?? Denise? That's pretty cool. Could create a 'still life' display there, with a plant or a vintage display of the homeowners' creation ? It would be more de-construction, but it would make the space very unique.

Joanna thanked redsilver
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    6 years ago

Thanks, redsilver. Not sure the actual site specifics, but just throwing out an idea. Nice that you saw the possibilities. Since the "box" overhead is the issue Joanna has, eliminating it altogether seems like the solution.

I was think more on the line of "Romeo, Oh, Romeo" ! haha If there are kids in the house, or even big kids, I see many many performances. Fun times!

• redsilver
    6 years ago

You could definitely have fun with that. Having 2 adult daughters sharing their first home away from home once they got their 'college education jobs'....it had an open loft above the den area. What fun they had! doing balloon drops on New Years eve gatherings when their friends were over for parties and surprize birthday gatherings they hosted. 10 years later, one daughter and now a husband live there with 2 toddlers....the dilemna: What can they put between the stair rail and the ceiling to prevent the sporadic toy drops??? or the youngest toddler from possibly launching off of it? ? :o I've suggest construction waffle fencing....LOL...they are considering plexi glass? LOL.... I Like the Romeo balcony idea. It will also make for a great place to use the many seasons of garland.....english ivy.....christmas evergreen,...pastel easter eggs....4th of July bunting...So much fun!!! Hope we see their results..

Joanna thanked redsilver
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denise, that's BRILLIANT!!! Talk about thinking outside the box (pardon the pun)! Interestingly, the other side of the foyer is one giant blank wall and my sister jokingly suggested putting a Juliet balcony on it. What is it about the area that makes people think of Romeo and Juliet -- hee-hee! But really, I LOVE your idea! As well as your kindness in going to the effort of even providing a graphic. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• redsilver
    6 years ago

I think we have a winner? DENISE? She has got the magic sketch pad!! :) Awesome.

Joanna thanked redsilver
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha, redsilver, thing is, we are old but, thank goodness, immature enough to partake in balloon dropping -- yet another reason for the balcony! :-)

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    6 years ago

And I think you should invite redsilver over! What fabulous ideas - the balloon drop especially. I love houzz so much as the interaction of ideas and community is awesome.

Joanna, promise you will post the end result. I also love to watch the process. There are so many people that have the same problem as it was a design detail in the 80s. Ugh. The planters remind me of Chia Pets. haha

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Can build them up to ceiling & have a closet acessible from top of stairs or no doors & shelving recessed inside

Joanna thanked artistsharonva
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're no doubt right, suezbell, about the reason behind the design. Thanks!

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    6 years ago

About the safety issue for small kids: two words: chicken wire. Paint it white. It's temporary and clean and safe and can be molded as necessary. Let's face it, anything you do will look like a cage. The chicken wire will look fun and industrial and very safe. If they can keep chickens from getting in trouble...Just saying.

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't know this was a common issue, Denise. They did a lot of bizarro things in the 90s (including hair...particularly mine at the time), so I should've known.

Sure, I can post the result of whatever we end up doing, but I'm just not sure it'll be the balcony. You see, my husband found me up in the middle of the night drawing sketches for little sculptures -- men climbing up the boxes, in the boxes, over them, etc. -- and now he really wants us to keep the boxes as is! Agh! But I do like your idea VERY MUCH so I'll have to work on him (or make very bad sculptures so he'll insist on the balcony :-)

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good idea, artistsharonva, but the top of them looks onto a large window with a view so we can't really go to the ceiling. But thanks for the drawing! Really appreciate the time and effort!

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, Denise, yes, I've heard that chicken wire is the latest design trend! The walls will be grey soon and the handrail black, but the posts will remain white so white chicken wire would indeed be perfect! :-) All kidding aside, yes, keeping kids safe might be an issue, so fortunately we've none and if kids do come it'll be rarely.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Is chicken wire making a comeback? I just cleaned my CW partition yesterday and was thinking of removing it. Maybe not...

Joanna thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't know, decoethusiaste. But I don't think it's come back to foyers, anyway, if they've ever have been in foyers (other than in a farmhouse-style designs, or country houses, in which case they'd look great).

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

That's funny. Put ugly things there to motivate husband...lol.

There are a lot of cool ideas.

I like things that add needed function. Redsilver's idea of a top that opens would be useful in hiding rarely used stuff. It will also keep dust out, easier to maintain. Maybe give the hidden space to hubby to hide his stuff might inspire him. Plus, it is one of the easier cost effective solutions.

The romeo love porch is creative.

Lot of creative people who think outside the box, on this post.

Joanna thanked artistsharonva
  • Melissa R
    6 years ago

Joanna thanked Melissa R
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, artistsharonva, it's always great if a design can have a practical purpose. I'm all for "art for art's sake" but if there's an opportunity for practicality in design, well, yay!

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking, Melissa R! People climbing up, looking over, even walking a tightrope between the two. Too much fun.

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just had a thought...maybe I could put a fish tank inside one box then put a window in the wall near the top of the stairs. You'd see the fish as you go up the stairs as well as when you got to the top, which would remain open, of course. There's the issue, though, of insurance premiums and fish tanks :-( not to mention the controversy about fish in captivity. Still, you all are getting the creative juices flowing!

• Janet Hicks
    6 years ago

I like Denise's balcony. It would also be a great place to display a gargoyle (though that might spoil your view of the window.)

Joanna thanked Janet Hicks
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    6 years ago

haha This is crazy fun with a functional purpose. Love when design makes people happy, which is how it is supposed to be.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

This thread beats any episode of shiplap, Magnolia AND "The Last Rose" episodes.. LOLOL !! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend !!

Joanna thanked redsilver
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

If you remove the boxes and create a balcony and find you need to support the railing of the balcony, consider building in a bench as part of the railing -- have the railing be the back of the bench.

Joanna thanked suezbell
  • Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha! Janet Hicks, I love gargoyles! That would give me an incentive to own one. Thanks for commenting!

• Joanna
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good thought, suezbell. Thanks again!