SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candle12355

Should I paint my staircase? Should I paint my stair case?

LUNA
6 years ago
I would love to add a little more drama and paint my stair rails and posts darker either a dark espresso or black or should I leave as is? If anyone could Photoshop my pics that would be really helpful,thank you.

Comments (40)

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @klfische,thank you!! If I paint it black should I go with a high gloss finish and which paint would you recommend?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Before doing anything get a fab entry light not that horrible boob light. I would like to see some more of the spaces in the home before commenting on the staircase.

• Related Discussions

Red and white oak: should my stairs match my flooring?

Q

Comments (14)
    I ended up getting the red oak stairs and the white oak floor. Did white oak, no stain, water poly. Stained the stairs darker to make it look intentional. I might have been able to get away with keeping the red oak stairs natural, too, if the floor installers had been asked to, and they had looked for boards that were redder and installed them near the stairs. There were some boards that looked like red oak. Here's the thread and pics ... [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/red-oak-stairs-do-i-install-white-oak-floors-or-red-dsvw-vd~3697644[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/red-oak-stairs-do-i-install-white-oak-floors-or-red-dsvw-vd~3697644) Make sure you read the part at the end about the nosing strip. That was a real oversight on my part. (I miss my stairs looking like that - they look cluttered now with the railings.)
    ...See More

What should I do with my stair stringer? Paint, Stain, Other?

Q

Comments (2)
    Paint it the same color as the wall to make it visually disappear. Alternately, add wood paneling the same finish as the rails to the wall beneath the stairs.
    ...See More

What color should I paint the trailing top railing of my stairs?

Q

Comments (1)
    All railing and newel posts black. Here's a before & after from a few years back.
    ...See More

Should I paint the wood column and stairs?

Q

Comments (31)
    That depends on what modern means to you. I would start looking googling modern colonial. btw the last picture makes me say yes to painting the spindles and kickboards. These are all modern looks in their own way.
    ...See More
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Patricia,hahah I know trust me how much I would love to change the light,it will eventually in the feature.
  • juliet08gomez
    6 years ago
    Q
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @klfische, thank you for taking the time to write a detail post.I have looked thru a lot of pic and diy post on Pinterest I know it will take a lot of prep work in order for it to look good I will deffinately take your advice on the finish;);)
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I actually painted all my kitchen cabinets last summer so I know what's coming towards me.

Before,After pics.
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Patricia,here are some pic of Family room and Formal living room.
  • sondramartina
    6 years ago

@Ariane, Your house reminds me of mine. My guess it's about 17 years old. I have the same pinkish beige kitchen( like yours before ) and the oak staircase that I would love to paint. Please keep us posted with your progress.

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @sondramartina,yes my house 17 years old we moved a lot over the years but never saw a kitchen cabinets beeing that (pinkish) color before,I will post an after picture and hope it will turn out good.
  • sondramartina
    6 years ago

And I even have a mirror backsplash LOL. It doubles up the mess and items sitting on the countertop . I just have to finish my fireplace wall makeover and after that we will tackle the kitchen .

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    oh my goodness,that would drive me crazy!! But one step at the time,there is still so many thinks I want to do to my house all the door handles,hinges and even the switch plates are all brass.If you paint your kitchen cabinets yourself I recommend Kitchen Transformation kit from Rostoleum I have used it and have no problems with chipping. . but it is a lot of work and requires prep work which is the important step for the end result.:)
  • loobab
    6 years ago

Hi Sondramartina-

Your house is lovely-

The staircase doesn't need to be painted, but you desperately need to change that carpet on the stairs.

It is drab and boring, and that is what is making your stairs look bad!

You have other options, such as an oriental look with a smaller scale pattern.

You can have a runner made out of broadloom to your size needs with the edges finished by binding or serging, and you might be able to get a good price on a remnant.

Or you could go with jute. Maybe seagrass if you do it right.

Don't use sisal, it can leave water stains.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/advise-on-wool-sisal-runner-for-stairs-please-help-dsvw-vd~4366617

You could use something that looks like sisal but wears and feels much better made out of wool, poly or a wool/poly blend

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2016/07/03/stair-runners-fibers-never-use/

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2016/07/10/bad-fiber-stair-runner-difficult-staircase/

I suggested those two options because you have an oriental pattern rug in your entryway, and the natural textures in the baskets in the table in your foyer, so you can continue either theme.

And may I make a couple of suggestions?

The mirror to the right of the door is really to small to check oneself in, and too late to make any adjustments as one is leaving the house :)

I suggest moving the lovely painting over the foyer table to the wall over the stairs. It will still be visible from the ground in the photo we see, so it will still tie in with the blue colors which works perfectly.

In its place over the table I would put a mirror, but not that tiny one, a marvelous starburst (or other interestingly shaped) mirror of appropriate size and there are literally thousands for you to choose from in all styles.

Here are just a few, to give you an idea, these may not be the size you need.

Good luck!

• kootenaycapable
    6 years ago
    If you did the posts and bannisters would you also do the treads? BTW, I love your jaguar chair!
  • PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    6 years ago

Hello - I would leave the stair rails and posts as is - and I do agree that the carpet runner is the issue. Perhaps painting the risers white or tiling the risers would be a nice update. Your home is beautiful and traditional. Adding the black would be severe and out of place. :)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Your home is very pretty.

Instead of paint, would staining darker be an option?

I like the idea of changing the runner to something more interesting, too.

• PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    6 years ago

Ashton Woods Atlanta Interiors · More Info

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @loobab,thanks for taking the time to comment on my dilemma,I know the runner has to go unfortunately it's not in the budget right know since I am working on getting my Formal dining room decorated.

I am confused of which mirror you are referring if you meant the one right next to the door that's a candle sconces,I do have sunburst mirror that I could hang over the table I will add a pic and will post my inspirational picture.

The first pic is my inspirational and second is my mirror.

Thank you.
  • pink_peony
    6 years ago

Two things stood out to me when I looked at the picture of your entry way. The carpet on your stairs and the light fixture in your entrance. The effort of painting the banister will be lost until you address these two things. Can the carpet be pulled off so you just have wood stairs? A nice entry chandelier would be such an easy update.

I just saw you posted pictures of the rest of your house. Traditional. How does a black banister relate to the rest of your home? Espresso is DATED.

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok,my husband agreed to rip out the carpet after seeing it in the picture it does look very dirty,so what should I do? leave it as is or should I paint the banisters white and the hand rails and post black? I am really confused in what direction to go after this.
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is what we underneath the carpet,any suggestions and comments are welcome
    And what kind of light should I purchase my budget is not really high.
  • kootenaycapable
    6 years ago
    Your light would need to be a semi flush mount. Try to find something that would go well with your other nearby fixtures.
  • housegal200
    6 years ago

Get a carpet runner in some of the gold and blues from the foyer painting. It'll take your mind off the railings, which are lovely.

Stairs · More Info

Nantucket Summer Home · More Info

Urban Romantic · More Info

• housegal200
    6 years ago

Also consider a much more dramatic, colorful rug for the foyer in blues and gold:

Safavieh Vintage Persian Collection VTP409 Rug, Turquoise/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

• loobab
    6 years ago

Ariane-

Your sunburst mirror is gorgeous!

And oh my eyes, I didn't even see the candle, sorry :(

I wouldn't paint any part of the stairway, it is perfect as it is, and the stairs match your floors.

I would not get a flush mount in the entry. Get something hanging, and the bottom of the chandelier should hang 7 feet from the floor unless your ceilings are very high or your family is unusually tall. In a one story foyer higher than 12 feet it should hang t feet 6 inches from the floor.

In a two story foyer it should hang at the level of the second story floor.

The diameter of the chandelier should equal the sum in inches of the length in feet of the length plus width of the foyer. If the foyer is 6 feet by 8 feet, 6 plus 8 equal 14 feet, converted to inches equals 14 inches.

Just as a larger foyer needs a wider chandelier, a foyer with a higher ceiling need a taller chandelier to look balanced. An 8 foot ceiling should have a chandelier 20-24 inches high, and for every foot higher the ceiling, add 2.5 - 3 inches of height to the chandelier. A 10 foot ceiling in the foyer needs to be 25 - 30 inches high.

As for what particular chandelier would work well, your style is eclectic.

What type of fixtures do you have on the exterior of your house? What chandelier do you have in your dining room?

The sconces you have on the side of the painting over the fireplace are rather modern. You could get something like that, and that would be nice.

Just bear in mind that your entry way lighting fixture does set the tone for your home.

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @loobab,thanks so much ypu.have been such a great help,I haven't decided on my dining room chandelier yet, I do have one in mind.My outside lights are all the ugly brass that there used 20 years ago deffiantely changing them out eventually ,I have chrome light fixtures in my family room.and Kitchen but are planning to get a black finish for entryway and dining room,is that ok ??
    I will post a few pic of my lights that I have currently.
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The first picture you see above is the one I am thinking to get for my dining room
    and these are from my kitchen.
  • loobab
    6 years ago

omg- so much better without the carpet!!

I like both fixtures you have.

The one on Amazon you show is too much crystal too over the top, I think.

I would pick a foyer fixture similar to either one in an appropriate size.

I think I like one similar to the ones over you island if you can get one in the right diameter better, if only because the one over your kitchen table, the whole world has already, so I think you can find a different one for your foyer.

Also, less exposed silver would be better with the sunburst mirror you are going to hang over the table.

You know, if you want to be wild and crazy, try on Photoshop a leopard print rug runner for your stairs. I saw that on one of the sites I listed on my previous comment. It does go with one of your chairs. Don't do it until you Photoshop it and see if you like it.

• LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @loobab,I will keep your suggestions in mind ,thank you!! I saw a runner like that on Pinterest and love it but HD want agree:(:(
    Will keep you posted!
  • sondramartina
    6 years ago
    Ariane how is it going? Any updates for us?
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hey Sondramartina,thanks on checking in! Not not yet.We have ripped out the carpet can't decide on a light fixture and going back and forth on painting the staircase just not brave enough,hope somebody could do a mock up so I could see it.How is your house coming along?I remember you said you doing some remodeling.
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I did change the picture for my sunburst mirror,here are some pics.
  • loobab
    6 years ago
    The sunburst mirror looks perfect there!
    Where did you find the mirror?
  • LUNA
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @loobab,I have the mirror for 14 years now,I think I got it from Green front furniture but not sure.
  • millalm
    6 years ago

Your staircase makes me want to pull a dated runner (same colour) off mine lol ! Your stairs are beautiful. I think a darker wood stain would add the drama you are looking for without the harsh contrast that black high gloss would produce. I would only stain the oak banister and oak posts because the white looks just right with the rest of the house. You could also temporarily put new daylight white bulbs in the fixture to improve the lighting for now.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I would lose the 'cloud' trim on the ends of the risers. That trim would go straight to the backyard fire pit!

• Emily McCloy
    5 years ago

You need to paint the handrails, and I think white is the way to go. OR it's possible that the wood tone is too match to the wall color. But I love how taking the carpet off the stairs made such a big difference!

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

Hi, any updates after removing the carpet? Did you paint the handrails? I would love to see the end result because I have the exact same stairs. Thanks!

• LUNA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

kiffkat here it is it took me about 2 weeks to finish my staircase but I am absolutely in love.

• LUNA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the end result, live it!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor