SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

IKEA Fabrikor cabinets instead of buffet?

I've been looking for a buffet cabinet to fill an 82" space for a while now. The current buffet is 45" and just not big enough. I'd also like a glass cabinet of some sort to display the crystal and China I collect.

I found the perfect buffet cabinet at RH, but it's over $2,000 and I just can't bring myself to spend that much. I found a few console tables that would work, but they would have to be painted and only offer open shelving which is not ideal.

I've always like the IKEA fabrikor display cabinets and I recently came across this phot which has me wondering if they would work in my space

Color-wise the blue is perfect as my color scheme is cream/white with shades of blue. On the other pair of windows I now have a blue plate display (one on each side)

Size-wise a pair of the cabinets would work. They would come up to exactly the height of the windows. Width-wise they wouldn't take up the whole space, but would offer more storage than the current buffet plus I could finally display my crystal.

I just don't know if the style works. I'm aiming for a light and airy English cottage look. I don't mind a little eclectic as I think it keeps things looking fresh, but I don't want the cabinets to look completely out of place. My dining table/ chairs are an early American Ethan Allen set. The kitchen, which is a step or two away from the dining space, has simple cabinetry pained a linen color with retro inspired white appliances. I have a few colbalt accessories.

only photo I can find at the moment (cabinets not yet painted here)

Heres the kitchen inspiration photo which I think I was able to replicate fairly well

Anyway, the kitchen matters because the space is so small and the cabinets will be on the same fridge wall next to all the painted cabinetry.

What do do you think, will two of the blue display cabinets look all sorts of wrong?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert