SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Winter Pest Frustrations

Sammers510
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have been pretty quiet on the forum this winter, at first it was because my trees were doing just fine (some growing better than they did all summer), then it was because I was so busy and didn't give much thought to my plants and now I am saddened to be back on for not a very fun reason. Half my trees are overrun with red mites, a 1/4 with scale and the other quarter just drying up and having severe branch die-back. I'll admit that since my plants were doing so well the first 2-3 months inside that I let my observation skills take a break and only really went in to water and check on the lights the last 2 months. And now I am paying for it as my trees are being overrun with pests.

Spider mites I can handle, I've been spritzing them with water and wiping down their leaves this last week and plan to move them outside this weekend and give them a good hosing down and spray with some HO and/or Neem. What I feel like I can't handle (or at least really don't want to handle) is scale. Last year I bought a few trees from OGW that ended up having a small scale infestation. I kept them separate from the other trees and got to work diligently removing each bug by hand, spraying once a week with the Neem/HO mix and wiping down each leaf individually. It took months but I finally* eradicated them, or so I thought. The rest of the summer went by I didn't see any scale. I checked all the plants thoroughly when I brought them in for winter and still didn't notice any, until this week.

I went in to water and noticed some soft baby scale on a few leaves of my Seville, after a bunch of swearing I finished watering the plants then had to get back to work so I left it. a busy schedule didn't give me any time to deal with them but after a few sleepless nights I finally sat down today with my cotton balls, spritzer and a trash can and slowly got to work squishing and removing all the scale that I could find. It wasn't just the Seville, the Kishu, Persian lime and Moro had them too. More swearing ensued, and more squishing and wiping. I'm sure I didn't get them all, for the life of me I couldn't see any more but I know better... I thought to myself 4 trees with the early stages of scale, it sucks but I can deal with this.

Then I made my way into the office where the other half of my trees are and began to inspect them. The trees in the office have been hit hard by the mites but no scale until I got to my AFL, Now I didn't see any on the leaves but the leaves towards the bottom were sticky and I know that means sucking pests. I looked and looked and couldn't figure out where they were hiding then it all of a sudden hit me. The branches were COVERED in large adult scale. I was looking for one or two scale here or there not 20+ piled on top of each other, and it not just once branch its the entire central part of the tree. At this point I was devastated, and out of swear words. Any of you that are familiar with the AFL know how tiny those branches are, how many there are, and most unfortunately how many thorns they have. My hands look like they were attacked by kittens and I didn't even scratch the surface of removing them.

So the point of my long, pitiful story is two-fold. On one hand, I'm upset and feeling sorry for myself, and wanted someone to commiserate with (though that helps no one and its all totally my fault for being negligent) and the other is more productive. Does anyone have any helpful tips for getting rid of scale? I feel so little hope that my gut reaction is to burn them to the ground and start over but I know that's quitter talk and a huge waste of money. It looks like I already lost (or am close to losing) 3-4 trees this winter (branch die-back) and I don't want to lose any more. My current plan is to remove all the scale by hand then spray the trees with a mix of Neem/HO once a week until I think they are gone. Any cultural things I can do to help?

Thanks for any advice and I hope your trees are doing better than mine

Comments (26)