SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bailey183913

Bedroom Needing Color- Amidst White Walls, Wood Trim/Furniture

bailey183913
6 years ago

Intro:

Our last 9 months have been spent in continuous renovation of our1928 character home, and we are now nearing the point where I want to design and decorate the spaces turning our house into a home.

I will start with our bedroom, but I also I need help later with the living room and dining room too. The whole house was painted white to get it to a livable state and because I had no time or energy to spend choosing colors while in the middle of chaos.

The bedroom is about 12'x12', but we are restricted on layout due to doors, windows, and baseboard registers. Layout below.

Gardenweb Posts · More Info

We recently purchased a bedroom set from Kijiji (Canadian craigslist), it is a 4 post bed with tall dresser and regular dresser with mirror. I admit that they are 'tad' oversized for the room, (I rushed in without thinking about how much bigger the bed was going to be than my previous one)- but we are committed to this new set now and will have to make it work; it's an improvement over what we had before.

Our closet is quite small, so the extra storage in the tall dresser is needed, even if it seems to crowd the room. I am hoping the room can be rebalanced by adding artwork, adding a new table on the other side of the bed, etc. Or look at placing the dresser on the short wall between the door and the closet, but I'm away from home for a few weeks so I won't be able to experiment right away.

Vision for the room :

I would like it to be a calm, pretty space without going to far with the traditional look. The large of amount of wood tones in the room from the floor, trim and furniture add an extra element in design consideration- and no, not painting the trim..

I believe the bedspread and new side tables will play a deciding factor if I've gone overboard with the traditional design. I'm drawn to a soft green for color, and I need to figure out complimentary accents. My dilemma is if I should do green on the walls or with the bedspread... I had thought about blue, but I've got my heart set on navy blue in the living room/dining room.

Some Inspiration photos from Pinterest:

Wall Color: I'm open to painting, just hopefully not the whole room. I used SW Sea Salt in the bathroom and have most of the can left- I'm not sure if I would be able to incorporate this color into the room- depends on the bedspread. If I did only one wall I initially thought it would be on the bed wall as an accent. But then would I paint only below the picture rail, or above too?

Bedspread: I need a new bedspread/coverlet, but don't need a duvet as that quilt is super warm and heavy, (we tend to sleep in cold temp, 60 F). I'm not opposed to florals, but it would have to be the right color and pattern without being too busy. My SO would likely appreciate a neutral cover as opposed to full on feminine. I thought about sewing my own quilt, but searching for images reveals a very traditional look.

I've searched wayfair and other sites, nothing really tickles my fancy but on another GW thread I found this coverlet that I like. It's a solid color, but still adds interest with the quilted pattern.

If I can somehow co-ordinate some of the 4 sleeping pillow/shams to do double duty as decorative during the day I would be very happy; I don't want an overly fussy bed. I'll also add a bed-skirt to hide the plastic storage containers under the bed. I will stick with solid color cream or white sheets and pillow shams (maybe 2 shams will have color and pattern).

Bedside Tables: So, depending on the final layout of the tall dresser, I could be looking at 1 or 2 new side tables; I can't spend a lot of money and I'll probably try to source them from Kijiji again, paying no more than $150. I want something with drawers to help with storage, keeping frequently used things close but out of sight. Should I be looking for a 'transitional' design, or maybe a traditional style but give them new life by adding color with paint to avoid adding extra wood to the room? And if paint, what color: black, deeper tone of green??

Art Work: Once the bed location is final, I want to add either framed photographs, a print or artwork between the bed posts. Would black and white artistic photos be too jarring? I would prefer to have a connection to any artwork that goes into the bedroom; whether it be family portrait, scenery, still life, or abstract. I have a decent camera, so I could try to source some of the prints myself.

Window Treatment: We are remote, with no neighbors so we're not concerned about privacy, and we have a great, scenic view out this window. This window faces East so we will get an early wakeup call in the summer; I'm not sure yet if we will always want that. But I do love the wood work of the window trim- we are planning to replace the windows themselves this year so hopefully no more plastic and insulation next winter.

Drapes would be another way of adding depth and color to the room, any direction on how I should go?? I love the amount of natural light in the room during the day.

Lighting: The ceiling fixture is a plain old shade, pretty boring so at some point I would like to change that out; to what, I'm not sure yet. And I need to find some lamps for the bedside tables.

Clutter- The space will feel much 'cleaner' with out the visual clutter on the dressers- it's currently a work in progress. The chair by the door was a stand in as a bedside table so it can be removed.

So to summarize: I would like to incorporate a soft green, should it with the wall color or bedspread? What kind of art work would you suggest above the bed? What style of bedside table would be appropriate without overloading on the traditional elements? Drapes/Curtains, should I add them or enjoy the glorious trim work and view?

Comments (4)