SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

I have literally inherited a kitchen project. Help with priorities?

Sister died of influenza recently. I will be executor/personal rep for her estate. Her 1952 house was under construction: a kitchen bumpout plus long-delayed maintenance. Her loan of necessity exceeded the county's current estimate of the house's estimated market value. My goal is to be true to the executor's mandatory fiduciary responsibility to the heirs but also to maximize the opportunity available to me to create a usable, attractive space from the gutted kitchen and to address additional flaws in the house that my sister was not addressing, especially an unusable main bathroom and dreadful landscaping, sidewalks, and front and back steps. I need $15,000 to $40,000 beyond the $170,000 loan unless I can redefine the scope of the project. If one of the four heirs can buy out the others, the house will not be sold to strangers, tying my hands further by giving me guilt if I don't use proper materials.

Because the work has halted until I get my bonafides, I have time to redesign and rethink. I have decided:

1) to buy scratch & dent stainless steel nice new Whirlpool appliances from a local resource [$1800 for a 3-speed venting hood, a double-oven electric range, a middle of line dishwasher, and a freezer- on-bottom 30" refrig without water dispenser]

2) to buy used lighting fixtures (over sink and in bath)

3) to omit the cabs above the refrig and omit wood housing around the 30-inch refrig I have bought

4) to make the water run and the waste go down the drains in the bathroom but not to address all outdated features, such as the lack of waterproof wall treatment in the tub area. I will leave the 1950s tile on the walls but will add a shower on a stick and will reveal the lack of impermeable walls on the homeowner statement to the new owner.

5) to use family-owned pieces in the house when we stage it, including a small t.v. to mount on wall & a small microwave to indicate the position of the microwave outlet on countertop

6) to omit an egress window in basement that would have allowed advertising the house as apartment-capable

7) to gussy up the front for curb appeal somehow

8) to include a ceiling fan for air movement (no ductwork so no whole-house air conditioning)

9) to omit cost of a closet -- use open-air coat hooks by back door

10) to ratchet down on the wood type (from maple to birch) and on level of quality of the cabinets

11) to omit upper cabs either side of the sink (will make open shelves from the cabinet shelves salvaged from the demolition)

12) to sew jolly curtains or roman shades for the new kitchen windows; to use selected items from my sister's horde of possessions to decorate the house tastefully; to recover the seats of my sister's dining chairs with fabric I found in her basement

13) I hope to make a decision about a sink yet tonight (to take advantage of online prices for Pres. Day discounts; might buy a faucet and soap dispenser also).

14) have ratcheted down to bottom of line quality carpeting for living room and vinyl floor for bath; hubby will buy oak flooring for kitchen from southern Minn. factory and install and finish it himself; he will seat the new toilet and the new vanity in bath but plumber will redo the main water lines to the bathroom; hubby will install lighting fixtures but electrician will do detective work and redo the electrical connections in bath

15) will use $25 new LED faux-can ceiling lights to light the perimeter of the kitchen

More ideas, folks? I need to maximize the fabulosity and yet claw back as much as possible from the kitchen loan to pay for the replacement plumbing lines and facade and such.

--Florantha

Comments (6)