SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Homemade metal rose tags, other labels and markers

erasmus_gw
6 years ago

This is perhaps not as attractive as buying a tag but it sure is cheaper. You can take an aluminum drink can, cut it open with ordinary scissors, flatten it out some, and then cut shapes from it to make tags. I make elongated ovals. You'd think the edges would be sharp but they have not been. In fact someone I knew used this metal can material to make fake flowers. They cut " petals" and painted them, then wired them up into a flower shape.

Anyway you can use a hole punch to make a hole. This year at The Dollar Tree they have a plant tie product which is wire coated with a fairly thick layer of soft green stuff like a lightweight rubber. I think it looks like it would be easier on a rose cane than bare wire for attaching the labels. In my experience it can be necessary to move such labels around due to pruning. This new soft plant wire at Dollar Tree looks like it would be easy to detach and reattach. You engrave on the metal tags with a pen or something like a nail.

Actually I have not made any of these tags in quite awhile. I have been using some zinc tags that go in the ground. I use an oil based marker to write on them. Oil based paint pens hold up a whole lot longer than " permanent" Sharpie type markers. I also have used the white plastic markers but to me the zinc ones look better.

Comments (3)