SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Feb 2018, Week 4, Planting (Maybe) & Welcoming March

Here we are entering the final week of February already. It flew by! Well, except for the gray, cloudy, rainy, sleety, icy, drizzly and, for some, flooding days. Those days crawled by, but it sure is nice to have moisture in the soil again, and water flowing into creeks, ponds, rivers and lakes. Now, if only we can enjoy the sunshine and get some planting done before rain finds us again, which will be Tuesday here at our place.

We had an unexpected chance to have both the girls (ages almost-9 years old and barely 3 years old) with us today, so my plant shopping dreams flew out the window and I spent the day at (in this order) Wal-mart, the kids' park in Gainesville (at the Frank Buck Zoo), the mall in Denton (a playground, pizza place, Claire's and Barnes & Noble....what more do you need?) and then, on the way home, Home Depot (a flat of pansies, and one packet of the seeds of her choice for each girl--so carrots for the little one and Grandpa Ott's Morning Glories for the older one) and then another stop at the Wal-Mart near their house to pick up the 4 grocery items we forgot yesterday. We had the girls for almost seven hours, we all had a lot of fun and we all survived. Whew! Tim and I admit to being more tired than on an average Sunday though. Climbing all over the playground sure wears out an old person. I assured Chris that we'd be happy to have the girls again any time---today was a child care issue that he could have covered without us, but he'd just worked a 24 hours shift and only slept 3 hours, so I thought my suggestion that the girls come hang out with us while their mom was at work was a perfect solution for everyone. We had fun.

Our yard looks a lot better today. Many of the giant puddles have shrunk down to being only large puddles today. Maybe by tomorrow they'll only be medium sized. The garden is exceptionally wet. Prior to the rain, I prepared one of the highest raised beds, one that is at the top of the sloping garden, for onions so that I could plant as soon as possible after it stopped raining. Of course, when I did that, we were expecting 3-5" of rain, not over 7", so maybe that bed still will be too soupy tomorrow for onion planting, but I'm going to try anyway and see how it goes. Right now the soil in that bed sort of looks like chocolate pudding, so it definitely is too wet today. I've got some kale, cabbage and lettuce ready to go into the ground, but I'm not sure when it will be dry enough for them. I'll probably harden them off all week and put them in the ground around March 1st or 2nd, unless we get a huge amount of rain on Tues-Wed, and the QPF only shows a smallish amount so I'm thinking positive.

That's all that is going on here. There's nothing much new to report. We're still adjusting to the unusual sight of blue sky and a big shining light rumored to be The Sun. We haven't seen them in so long that we've been in awe of them all day long.

What's new with everyone here? Did anybody get outside and get some planting done?

Comments (120)