SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

Mix or Match Lighting in Foyer?

One Devoted Dame
6 years ago

I essentially have 2 foyers... A rectangular 8x11 foyer where the front entry is, and a 7' rotunda where the garage entry is. See below. :-)

The builder put a rather plain flush-mount light in the foyer and a bit nicer semi-flush light
in the rotunda, and I will be tossing both of them. I want to showcase the rotunda and give it the more awesome/fancier fixture. Can I do that, even though the space is significantly smaller? I also plan to use paint to further highlight it, both inside and out.

How do I coordinate the light fixtures so that it doesn't look like I tried to match but failed? I don't want to necessarily pick fixtures from the same line (or, if I do, I'm not opposed to spray painting something, say, copper, for example), because I don't want to be matchy. To add to the headache, I want a pendant above the kitchen sink, too, which I'd like to coordinate with the rotunda and foyer fixtures (all three are visible from the rest of the public spaces of the house).

The catch? I only like fixtures where the shades look like pillar candles. I dislike seeing bulbs -- any kind of bulbs, even the "candle flame" looking ones -- and therefore also dislike downlights. I am okay painting or adding texture (frosted?) to clear glass cylindrical shades (unless that is a phenomenally bad idea... please let me know if it is, lol).

Sorry for being a total pain. ;-)

Oh! The only light fixture I've purchased so far is for my master vanity, and it looks like this, to give y'all an idea of what I like:

I also really like a bit more swirly-ness, like the fixtures pictured here, but would need to paint/frost the clear glass, assuming these two types should even be in the same home, lol (pics are not of my house):

Hagerman Kitchen · More Info

La Cosa · More Info

PS - The Dining Room shown on the floor plan (first image) isn't our dining room; it's our Parlor, and has a ceiling fan, so I don't have to coordinate yet another chandelier, thank heavens. :-D

PPS - I have thick skin, so let me have it. If I need to hire a pro, say something, please! If I should just let my husband pick everything because he isn't as selective as I am, please tell me, lol. Thanks!

Comments (3)