SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Physician's Assistants

Alisande
6 years ago

Anglophilia's thread about a new demographic sparked some discussion about Physician's Assistants (PAs). They certainly have become popular in medical practices. I was surprised to learn little education is required to become a PA. You need a bachelor's degree, but it can be in anything. So after you get your degree in Graphic Design or French History, all you need to do is complete a two-year master's-level program to become a PA. In 2016 the average salary for a PA was $102,000. I get the feeling it's become quite a popular career choice, and that is likely to grow.

The PAs I've met have all been young, attractive, female, and friendly. I hear it often: "I hardly ever see my doctor, but his PA is very nice." Or, in one recent case, "I'm glad my doctor is hardly ever available because he has a terrible manner but his PA is very nice."

I can't speak for other people, but the PAs I've encountered were very nice but not very competent. One (who I've noticed loves to prescribe antibiotics) misdiagnosed shingles on my eyelid as conjunctivitis. Without going into detail, another demonstrated a shockingly poor command of anatomy.

It seems the PA's basic function is to assist the physician by taking over a lot of his or her office visits. I wonder how this trend will end up.

Comments (28)