SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

First mail order plants of the year came today..unpotted

I need some help. I ordered 4 iris sanguineas and 1 prunus subhirtella 'pendula' seedling. So the nursery policy is that they only ship plants in the dormant season from October to end of March. So I call them and they told me its best if I order now because many of their plants get sold out by the end of the shipping season(end March). That is why I order these plants so early when its not even spring yet.

The problem is.. the plants came in today through the mail, not in pots. I thought they were going to be in pots. They were in soil covered with some kind of moss and then wrapped with a clear plastic bag. Now because they are not in pots, that forces me to plant them in pots (in which I just did) but I worry that because the threat of frost is not yet over even though today was 72 degrees here, and because they are newly planted it is more susceptible to frost damage to their roots. What is the best thing to do right now for the time being until I plant these plants? Plant it outside in the ground? Find a greenhouse and ask them to conserve my plants in there?

Also one other thing you should know... I used regular native soil in pots for my iris sanguineas since they are going to be in the ground in a month anyway and they can take wet soil. Also their leaves are already sprouting so they are not dormant. It came from South Carolina so they awoke from dormancy early.

Comments (24)