SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

TRX peeps

mtnrdredux_gw
6 years ago

I've been doing spin 3x a week for a while now, and I want to mix it up. I just can't get motivated to swim, and my trainer (motivation) no longer has times that would work for me.

I thought I'd try something different, and more aimed at musculature than cardio. Wouldn't TRX be that?

If you do TRX, did you start with a class or a personal trainer? Was it daunting? I am rather uncoordinated and afraid of joining a class of experts!

Comments (8)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I did some TRX with a trainer for about six months, it was just a small part of the training program, along with a bunch of other exercises. I also took classes that incorporated TRX, along with ropes and kettlebells. The trx was mostly just the simple arm exercises though so I'm not terribly knowledgeable about it. But I just wanted to mention that you can buy the trx straps and use them at home if you want to give it a try and get a little accustomed to it, see if you like it. You just shut them in the top of a door and they work quite well. I have since moved away from that gym and I keep meaning to get mine out. As a matter of fact I did get them out last week and there they are, still sitting on the floor! Maybe this will inspire me to use them -- my arms could certainly use some toning!

• jmck_nc
    6 years ago

I really like the TRX. I've used it with a trainer and in a class with TRX and Kettlebells...my fave! I have found it to be very effective but technique is important (like with most things). A few sessions in a class or better yet with a trainer and you could do it at home easily....says the woman with one hanging in our spare room that she rarely uses. I am a huge fan of kettlebells and started a class in that twice a week in January. The difference in my core strength and stability is amazing. I have used them for a few years but this class is very focused on form and technique and I'm seeing real improvement.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys, sounds like TRX is worth trying. As for doing it at home, I have a bike, treadmill, elliptical, free wts and pool. All in resting state. : ) Unless a trainer comes over, I dont do it. I'm better .. a little ... about going to classes.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

I went to a class and really was impressed, although it was very hard at first. I bought a home set last year but haven't yet tried it (I also have been in a state of inertia); I did figure out that the only doorway with the correct swing is one of the bedroom doors, that would have me working in the small upstairs hall. I was thinking about trying to install hooks for it in the doorway between the dining room and family room addition.

• User
    6 years ago

That's how I am too, mtnrd. I loved the class that I took at this gym, I'm not sure what it's called. It was timed, maybe 3 minutes on TRX, then 3 minutes on ropes, then steps, planks, kettlebells, etc. with about 30 seconds rest between each, for 30 minutes total. When I first attended the class I saw that it was mostly people who were older than me. I though, oh this is gonna be a breeze! Nope. These people were in really good shape! It was definitely a good combination of strength and cardio. If you can find a class like that, I would give it a try.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

Mtn, have you tried a peloton bike? My friend swears by it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jojoco, i have thought about it. A few parents at my kids school gush about them, too. And I have always liked spin. ButI don't think logging into a live class would keep me honest. And I hate to buy more eqp. I have three spin studios to choose from with 10min of my house, so I can almost always find a class...

• blfenton
    6 years ago

I use a TRX at the gym but it's part of my workout with the trainer. Regardless of the exercise that you're doing with it, it's all about the core.

ETA - I personally would get bored with only a trx. The gym I go to does run a combo trx/bike class.