SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawerkamp

Any possible way to install an ipe porch over concrete cap?

kawerkamp
6 years ago

We are building a new home and I had my heart set on a hardwood (ipe or cumaru) front porch....until I called an ipe supplier yesterday and he strongly discouraged me from doing a hardwood deck in our situation.

Here was the plan: We live in Idaho with a high mountain desert climate--extreme winter temperatures and dry. This porch goes over our basement cold storage, which will be covered with a concrete cap that is water-sealed and sloped for drainage (there should be very little water getting into the deck anyway because the porch is entirely covered). We were going to face-screw 5/4"x6" ipe decking on 2x6 sleeper joists so that the wood wouldn't sit directly on concrete, but the decking supplier said that 6" is still way too close to the concrete cap for proper ventilation (they recommended a minimum of 18"!). He was also not keen on us wrapping the porch face with a stone fascia to meet HOA masonry requirements (we were going to drill in weep-holes to allow for any drainage from the sloped concrete cap so that moisture never accumulates). I have no interest in a synthetic, trex-like decking material, so he recommended ipe tiles as a much more stable alternative that wouldn't cup and can go directly on concrete, but those don't fit with the old-fashioned porch aesthetic we're going for at all.

Before I bury the dream of a real wood porch, I wanted to reach out to the Houzz community to see if anyone has installed ipe or other hardwoods over a concrete cap? If so, how did you ensure proper ventillation, and have you had any issues with boards cupping? If we do have to wrap the porch with stone facing, any advice on how to do so in a way that doesn't exacerbate cupping risks? Thank you!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!