SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_scagnetti

Builder installed wrong bathtub

Amanda Scagnetti
6 years ago

I need help or advice.

When we were drawing up plans for our house, I was very specific saying I wanted a bath tub big enough for 2. I even remember the design architect repeating me as he was making notes for the area.

Now that we are in the process of the build, they installed the master bathtub last week. I looked at it and immediately said that is not a tub for 2. Emailed the builder stating so, and that I was upset, and also that I was upset I was never involved in the selection of the tub. (This is the same exact tub I had at my old house that I did not like... so it must be builder standard tub.)

She responded saying that the size of the bathroom didn't allow for a 2 person tub, so they had to go with the standard. And as far as selection, we never went over the book which was a mistake on her part- but size wise, this is the only option.

*I've looked at tub sizes and most are all the same length as what we have open for but there are some 2 person tubs that are wider. She said they didn't go with that because it would stick out in the bathroom, outside of the wall it fits into.

**Personally, I don't care if the bath tub sticks out! It's supposed to be the highlight of the room after all!**

Anyways, we have argued back and forth. They are saying we didn't have it in "writing" about wanting the 2 person tub. And when we signed the contract it was basically saying we were "ok" with plans and such. (I put my trust in them that they knew what I wanted and me not knowing dimensions very well- trusting them that it was all good)

So now we have a standard bath tub installed in the master bath. They have installed it right up against the wall- so even if we were to deal with it, it would be uncomfortable as there is no arm room on the side.

Just not something I see as my "dream" bath- for my dream home.

I don't know what to do.

They are working on a change sheet today- which I imagine will have outrageous $$ cost to take it out and put in a larger one.

Does anyone have any ideas? Advice? Tips? Anything we can do?

I hate the he said/ she said game.. if I could I would go back and make sure that I had this minor thing in writing, which is turning out to be not so minor anymore.

-Attaching snip of bath layout.

Comments (57)