SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

David Austin Roses for Valentines Day (from my hubby)

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

My husband jus came downstairs and said “fill your shipping cart up with whatever roses you want and that will be your Valentine’s Day and anniversary gift.” (We married on the 19th). He of course had to put a monitary limit or I’d order the entire catalogue Lol, but here’s what I now have coming from DA:

The generous gardener

Charles Darwin

lady Emma Hamilton

huntington rose (to replace one I lost)

Princess Anne

charles renne Macintosh

James Galway

I tried to choose varieties that exhibit good disease resistance, however I know Huntington, Charles Rene and lady Emma may need some spraying. I hope the rest are as disease resistant as they claim on HMF. Any comments or pics are welcome.

Im so happy :) my hubby knows what I want most

Comments (48)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Awww happy Valentine's Day and anniversary!! How sweet of him !! I also have generous gardener coming as well as CRM.. very excited for those . What happened to your Huntington? Mine got rrd .. the only one of the year so I wonder could it have come with it ? Not sure but I did like it a lot

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Of those listed I have Princess Anne. She is a good rose here but her color is a screaming bright neon magenta in the heat lol. I just dont really know who to put her with. I have Munstead Wood and William Shakespeare 2ooo that also get Magenta in the hottest months but then they are dark red the rest of the year whereas PA is a more settled down pink. So Im not putting them together lol.

I have Charles Renne Macintosh coming any day now. I emailed DA about my order and they said it should probably be going out this week. So excited!

• Related Discussions

My New David Austin Roses.

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello Karima and mistymorn. I found this site, yes! Did I post to the American equivalent Mistymorn? I guess I did. On David Austin's, Graham Thomas: I've grown it twice, once in Sydney, where it is cooler than where I am now, and here. It failed here, just west of Tweed Heads, NSW; too hot, I'd say, afterall, it is an English rose. Graham Thomas is a nice strong rose but really more suitable to cooler climates than where I am or further north. Ok, as far north as Sydney it's fine but doubtful it would/will succeed in the sub-tropics. David himself once said he was surprised when commenting on a specimen growing in South Africa that it was so big it assumed climbing proportions. On blackspot: Am I a sinner? I have to admit I use a systemic fungicide, Triphorine, and I very much doubt it has any effect on frogs, bees, or any other native creature (if it killed cane-toads though, I wouldn't complain). Blackspot is a fungus, and Triphorine is a fungicide and ladies (seems only ladies talk about roses) if you want roses, or azaleas, in the warmer climates you have to use fungicides/insecticides or don't bother growing them at all, and hey, today's deterents - fungicides and (selected) insecticides are a hell of a lot safer than than the old DDTs, whatever. Look, if you 'spray-can' a recommended lime-sulphur mix - both natural products - over your roses in mid winter after you prune you'll rarely need to use a fungicide. Insecticides - really, to minimise aphid attack, and blackspot plant your roses into the wind and space them a metre apart - I use maybe only 2, 3 or 4 times a year, that's all I need. If I can't use them I'll dig up my rose garden and abandon roses and azaleas altogether (what looks more ugly than an azalea's leaves grey from azalea lace-bug?) By the way, many of the the old heritage roses are more beautiful than the hyrids and are immune from aphids, fungus deseases, etc. The picture attached is of the gorgeous climber, Dublin Bay, a McReady rose from New Zealand, daughter of Altissimo and the full pink, Galway Bay. It's a thriving here and is fairly desease free.
    ...See More

Receiving roses from David Austin, Texas

Q

Comments (2)
    They both have gorgeous blooms from the photos so I cannot wait see how they look in my garden. I was hesitate about Jude because I read that it is not a good cut rose but its blooms are really beautiful and different than other Austin roses' that I am willing overlook that :) Helen
    ...See More

Mary Magdalene - my first David Austin rose this spring!

Q

Comments (25)
    Beautiful, Ann! This rose is on my wishlist - since DA has discontinued it, I hope someone else carries it in the future! (I just checked Help Me Find - they don't have the US patent listed, but it was introduced in the UK in 1998, so it should be off patent soon - HMF has the Australia patent as the year 2000, so if the US patent was also 2000, I think it should be off patent this year? Yay!!!!!)
    ...See More

Some David Austin roses and more in my garden

Q

Comments (202)
    The “Rosy Oodles of Poodles & Puppy Club! “We have it! So many pooches.... let’s see if I have all of us in it yet....now... Congrats: 1. RoseCanadian, Carol, has Zephyr, black poodle & a St Berpoodle. (Edited.) 2. Summersrhythem has a poodle puppy on order this summer & gave a poodle to D. 3. I have Anastasia, white poodle. 4. Tammy has a white poodle. 5. Lala in Idaho has “Lala,“ White poodle.. 6. Jasmine has a white Perinese & goats. ( Goats almost qualify as a dogLol!!) 7. Kristine has Auggie her doodle & another doodle. 8. Magpie has puppers, Noelle. She is a possible great white pyr mix. (Edited.) 9. Elizabeth, my daughter has, Elix, a Border Collie. 10. Jopyeweed, a bichon -poodle mix! Kristine, Adorable, Auggie is soooooo cute! Magpie, Your white puppers, Noelle, is beautiful. (Edited.)😊. Helen, Oh, I’d love to see photos of your St Berdoodle-now that is amazing! What’s his/her name? Jopyeweed-Love to see your photos of your Bichon-poodle! Cool! Helen, Your seedlings look wonderful! I am so excited to see them grow roses this spring. My daughter’s, Elizabeth‘s, pooch, Border Collie, Elix, & my Anastasia poodle spent a play date together today... walk at the Lake park. Her dog is sooooo smart. He does lots tricks and totally out ran my Anastasia which surprised me. I thought my poodle was the most energetic dog on this earth, but , NO, it’s her fast border collie! Elix, , Border Collie Maybe, we should have this puppy talk on the spring thread? Continued.... Have a fabulous week in this warm weather!!!!
    ...See More
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    6 years ago

What a great gift! Lucky you! I have James Galway - love it! Big tall stout shrub, lots of blooms. Really a good one. Have Princess Anne. She is very healthy, blooms well. Have her next to Apricot Candy, like the look of these two together - have Belinda's Dream on the other side of Anne. She likes to get a bit "reachy" and grow some long canes, but easy to cut back. She can bloom in some clusters which I like. Though I love the color, Lady Emma has never done well for me, the 2 I had died. For me, it was rather a wimpy bush. Lady of Shallot and Carding Mill work better for me, and I have Bathsheba; anxious to see how this short climber does. Have Charles Rennie Macintosh - have seen blooms on this one, truly lovely. Have fun with your most thoughtful gift!

Judith

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

What a lovely gift, and what fun you must have had choosing!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

That's a really great gift!! Yay for you!! :) I'm getting Charles Darwin this year too!! I'm really excited about it.

Carol

• Gabi (Montréal Zone 4/5)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ahh lucky you!

My cart is full and no sign of the husband paying the tab.. I am getting the James Galway as well ! Happy to hear people like it.

Gabi

• towandaaz
    6 years ago

SoFl Rose, I don' have any of those so I hope you report back on your new roses. What a wonderful gift. He really knows the way to a girl's heart, huh? Enjoy!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

What a wonderful gift! Mine did the same for Xmas, but I keep hinting about VDay! Oh well. He probably thinks I have enough! Little does he know.; )

Jame Galway is a beauty even for us more northerly folks, so I look forward to seeing him grow for you. CRM is another that's so pretty. Well, they're all pretty! I love the intensity of PA and how fitting that you should order Charles Darwin as his birthday was yesterday!!!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh wow, thats funny. I ordered his rose on his birthday. Ha! Love that!

I had Huntington before and it was absolutely stunning, however I had it growing in a pot and it did so well that I thought I'd put it in the ground. Turns out, it didn't like that and slowly died on me. I plan on putting it in a pot this time and leaving it put!

The other roses are all going to be new to me. I fell in love with Lady Emma at the Golden Gate Park rose garden and i've wanted it ever since. I really hope Charles Rene does well for me because I'm in love with the bloom form. Its the one I'm most excited for.

I got princess Anne for her disease resistance. Lets hope it pays off. Its not really my my favorite color, but if she's a tough rose and does well here, I'll be happy with her.

Im hoping James Galway doesnt have problems with balling, its so full of petals, but it too is supposed to be healthy.

I've tried SO many of the austins and some have done great while others have been total failures. Its really a trial/error here for me, but I'm determined to grow the ones that do well.

So far my best austins are: Pat Austin, Evelyn, Darcey B, Teasing Ga, Ancient Mariner, Olivia, spirit of freedom, Sophie's rose, Windermere, The Mayflower, The Ancient Mariner, The Shepherdess and Huntington Rose.

DA roses that are OK for me, not great, but still worth growing are PAoK, Abe Darby, Queen Of Sweden, Scepter d' isle, Golden Celebration, Litchfiled Angel, Charlotte, Geoff Hamilton, strawberry hill, Bentjamin Britten & Wedgewood.

DA roses that have failed for me for one reason or another (mostly disease) are Molineux, Lady of Shallot (healthy foliage, tiny infrequent blooms), Graham Thomas, Carding Mill, Crocus (I just didnt like the blooms), Tamora, LD. Braithewait, Gentle Hermione and Belle Story, which I love and would try again despite the fact it has died twice on me.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and Jubilee Celebration, its died on me several times now so I'm finally giving up on it. The Endevour however is similar and has done wonderfully for me, i forgot to mention above.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

SoFL Rose

Congratulations on the gift & Anniversary . Do you grow Munstead Wood by the way ?

• fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

He knows you well....

How lucky!

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

Such a sweet gesture! Looking forward to seeing the beautiful pictures when they bloom.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

What a thoughtful person your husband is. I hope all these roses do well for you. I'm especially interested in Lady Emma. Happy Valentine's Day. Diane

6 years ago

Rosecanadian I am very curious since you are in zone 3 and you cultivate potted roses, up to what zone do you plant ? I have a spot where I am thinking putting a potted rose and was wondering why not going into a different hardiness zone. I would store the pot in a non-heated garage though. How does it work for you ?

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pink Rose, I did just get a mislabled Lowes rose that I think is Munstead Wood. It had one very dark purplish red bloom on it when I grabbed it. It has lots of thorns too, which I heard is MW's characteristic. It hasnt bloomed since that first one, but I planted it in my garden and its taken off rather quickly showing new growth on every branch. I hope it is MW. :)

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

I got Munstead wood from k & M a few months ago .lt is growing and throwing some thorny octupus canes but hasn't bloomed much yet .l trimmed back a little.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

SoFl, have you grown Jude the Obscure? I didn't see him on your list! Your hubby sounds like a great guy!

I told mine this year that his shopping duties were not necessary as I had already ordered some roses for "his present". I think that he was actually relieved to not have any responsibility this year!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nice! I have grown Jude before on 2 occasions and its disease resistance was poor so both died on me. Its a gorgeous rose though and the scent is to die for. I wish it would have done well for me.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Gabibiche - I don't ever check zones...so I'm not sure. They all live though. I don't use blankets anymore except for the roses that are by a door. My garage is unheated...but it is insulated. That is the key. I think you should try it. :)

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

SoFL, that's too bad on Jude. I have to admit that they're my worst for blackspotting (that have been allowed to stay) but they're so vigorous otherwise that it's worth it for the fragrance and sheer number of blooms.

6 years ago

My garage is from the 1910's and therefore is poorly insulated.. May be with blankets ?

6 years ago

Jude does ok here. It gets a little blackspot during the rainy season/summer but sheds those leaves and grows new ones very fast. Great bloomer and smells so good! I am in NE FL so conditions are a little different than other areas of FL.

• sharon2079
    6 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day and Anniversary!!!!!! So happy for you :)

• perennialfan275
    6 years ago

I don't know if this is true, but a while ago someone told me the Austin roses don't like heat. They prefer more mild climates where the summers don't get super hot. Do they really perform well in Florida?

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Gabiche - maybe with sleeping bags or really, really thick blankets. You may even try rose cones or cardboard boxes...and then really thick blankets. The important thing is to let the rose go through some mild freezes in the fall. Take off the leaves. Once the night temps are below -6C the roses should go in the garage. Water really, really, really well before they go in. Place the rose pots on wood, styrafoam or something else that will insulare the bottom of the rose. Depending upon how large your plants are and how cold the roses get under the protection....I water them about 1 cup water (I have large pots) starting in March (cold weather) or January in warmer winters. Then I do that every month until the roses go outside. Don't take them out for good until night temperatures are above 3C. You can take them out of the garage in the morning and put them back inside for night if the temperatures are too low.

Jo - that is a really strong color on your LEH!!! I've never wanted to get it, because the color seems too pale. Your is gorgeous!! I also love your Princess Anne!!! Fabulous!!!

Carol

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

SoFL and Jasmine, I am btw you two. I am swapping my orders again Bec some roses did not go well for both you guys like Jubilee Celebration and others.

So, thank you. And I am thinking of Jude. Jasmin it grew for you but not for SoFl. Should , I go for it or change for something else. Hahaha. I have to decide next time.

Jin

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some do well on the heat while others don’t. I’ve had great luck with many DAs though. It’s more about disease resistance than heat here. They do slow down in the end of the summer and start growing again in November.

6 years ago

Jin, I can tell you the very best of my Austins , the ones that do the best here. Then you can compare with some other FL Austin rose growers and see which ones that might do well for you. I don't spray and I grow all my Austins in full sun and I think that cuts down on black spot.

I think many Austins are truly perennials and need years to develop into those roses we lust over in the catalogs.

Best Austins here in NE FL

Pat Austin..she is pretty much #1 all around. She stays green/disease free and blooms all the time. I highly recommend her for new rose lovers in FL who want to try Austins. She doesnt have a lot of fragrance but she is a top performer. She was even in full bloom during the hurricane lol. I have 2.

Teasing Georgia...disease free climber, old fashioned yellow blooms, blooms in flushes. Thorny so keep away from walkways lol. I have 2 TG.

Litchfield Angel...disease free, buds are blushed pink peachy then open to creamy white. Sometimes blooms are quartered and somtimes not. They are pretty either way. Excellent bloomer here.

Abe Darby..very fragrant, gorgeous apricot pink blooms. Excellent bloomer. Just bought another Abe.

Lilian Austin...Great bloomer, party pink large blooms with touches of yellow. An oldie but goodie.

Munstead Wood. Another power bloomer. Dark deep red in cool months, it can be magenta red in heat of summer. Rivals The Mermaid as far as thorniness! It is a thorny beast and best to keep it away from walkways lol. Even the rose stems are thorny like with a zillion sharp prickles. Best to get a stem stripper for flower arrangements lol. It is very fragrant, with an old rose scent. The fragrance wafts when it humid. Just ordered another MW.

Lady of Shalott has clean foliage. Blooms in flushes. Insanely beautiful blooms ranging from coral, to pink with touches of copper and yellow on reverse of petals. Not much scent. A large climber here.

Olivia..I heard she might be a replacement for Abe or Evelyn so I tried not to love her lol. She is a great bloomer. Her blooms are full and lovely. She is very disease free. She blooms all the time. Wants to be huge! Unlike Abe or Evelyn lacks fragrance. Its there but its not strong. I just bought another Olivia due to her productive blooming and beauty.

Olivia is the one on the top of this photo.

Princess Alexandra of Kent...she is great here. I get medium pink big fluffy cupcake blooms. She blooms all the time her disease resistance is good. I love her and plan to get a few more.

I have many others but these are the most carefree in terms of disease and good bloomers here. These I would recommend for beginners who live in my area.

A lot of other Austins also do well here and I have some that are doing very well but I havent had them long enough to say if they are the best yet lol. I am always trying more roses even if they dont work out for others they might be okay in your yard.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sultry, You are just like me. Always trying every austin to get the best. Its funny, your top performers are my top performers and almost in the same order too.

My top top one is also Pat Austin, its always always in bloom. Mine is growing as a small climber and its the most productive rose in my garden. Right now she's covered in blooms and buds.

This was one i picked this morning.

Just beautiful.

Teasing Georgia is another one that does wonderfully for me. She gets very large and I have 2 of them. One growing as a climber and one as a large bush that I keep hacking down to get strong stems. So far so good.

Litchfield Angel is another one that I love. Mine does get a bit of canker and bs in the dead of summer but its bouncing back nicely.

I just planted Munstead Wood and its taking off already so I'm glad to hear yours is doing well.

Evelyn is a SUPER DUPER rose for me. Its always blooming and even though she does get a bit of BS she bounces back like if nothing. Same with Abe, but abe is more disease prone.

I tried lady of shallot, but her blooms were tiny and I wasn't too happy with them. She also had lots of growth and little bloom for me. However she was healthy.

Heritage is a winner here too. I have 4 of them. I just wish the bloom had more substance. They blow too quick.

PaoK is also a trooper. She too gets disease, but keeps on ticking. I have mine in partial shade so that may be why. I recently got another one and its growing in a pot in full sun, but I can already see its outgrowing its pot, so....

Other ones that do well for me that you didn't mention are Windermere, Spirit of Freedom (I LOVE this rose, some of the most beautiful blooms ever) and The Endeavor. Huntington rose does well for me too. However she too is a bit disease prone. Again I dont spray at all and I still enjoy these roses because they bounce back even if they loose leaves throughout the season. Darcey bussel does well in a pot too. Geoff Hamilton is a survivor, not so much a thriver, but the blooms are to die for! Mine is own root, I think. I'd like to try it on Fortuniana, but no one grafts it on fort.

The ancient mariner seems promising. My olivia is meh. It did well its first year but seems to be declining this year :(

The rest, like you are too new to tell or were purchased as small own roots that need time to get going. However I've tried nearly all Austins. LOL and I keep trying them. Im obsessed!!!

Are any of yours on fortuniana?

6 years ago

SoFL Rose, None of my Austins are on fort. They should be and I keep saying Im gonna eventually convert but then just go and buy them not on fort lol! Some are own root and some are on Doc Huey. I know we have nematodes but not to the extent of other places in FL. I dug two new flower beds and hit clay at 20 inches down. I knew we had clay way out by the street but not this close to the house. Oh well, lol. The whole top was sandy. This changes my game plan for amendments grr.

I ordered SoF so excited to be getting that one. The petal count on it is supposed to be around 200 petals!

I am totally jealous that your Evelyn does well. Mine does not. I recently just put her in the ground and said sink or swim. She's thinking about it lol. Abe is my current substitute for Evelyn because he does well here. You must share your secret for growing Evelyn! I want to try again.

I really need to get a Heritage. I keep hearing good things about it!

Some new to me Austins I have coming are: Graham Thomas, Moulineax, Charlotte, Wedgewood, SoF, Charles Renne Mackintoch (sp?), Boscobel

Lately, I've been working hard on getting more Teas, Noisettes and other OGRs that like the south, into my garden and keeping the Austins and HTs on the back burner but there were some good sales this spring lol.

• User
    6 years ago

That was so sweet of your DH,So FL. Charles Rennie MacIntosh is, IMO, one of THE most under-rated of all Austins-and this is coming from one who tends to consider Austins rather over-rated, lol. I have The Huntingdon rose; it was great at first but I think it might have gotten to be "too big for it's britches"; these last two years or so it's turned into a huge grann plant with far too few flowers. I am going to try pruning much more drastically. Same gors for James Galway, in a way; huge plant, but like an enormous HT, with flowers only way at the top where I can't see them. I'm trying to train/prune this one in a way to avoid this fault. The foliage is perfect, however; a luscious dark grenn with no disease at all, ever (no spray). Enjoy!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow Bart, nice to hear that about Charles Rene and James. I look forward to them so much. :)

Sultry, my evelyn is on Fortuniania. Who knows, maybe thats the secret in growing her. I did have her in a huge pot for about two years before putting her in the ground (once she finally outgrew it), so maybe starting with a big, strong plant was key. I'm not sure. I wanted to get a another one on fortuniana, but K&M is out of stock. I'll have to try Cool Roses and see if they have her. Mine is large and grows like a small climber. Its about 8 feet tall and about 5 feet wide, but sparsely growing, not full. Just lots of tall branches with leaves on the top and blooms. Its not the most attractive plant. I'm afraid to prune her down because she'll get less sun if she's lower to the ground so I just let her go all leggy. She looks like a climbing rose though so its not too bad.

6 years ago

Geoff is bringing me all this roses.

Abe

Darcey Bussell

Poet's wife

Evelyn

Heritage

Sharifa Asma

Sophy's rose

The dark Lady

Lichfield Angel

The generous Garderner.

He did tell me if I changed my mind, he can always sell it , no problem

I am not sure of Pat Austin and Lady of Shalott ( I love HY pics) I want to see the colour in person. Plus fragrant is a big bonus.

I talk to him about L.D. Braithewait. He said it will grow here in Orlando.

Any of you have Mary Rose or Strawberry Hill ? I want eirther or both

I am also getting Ebb Tide, Rosette Delizy and Cliff Richard's rose ( one of you Floridians recommended )

And also B. R. Can't and a few other roses. Bec he is not taking money now. I can't quite remember my order. He has it put aside for me. How is Lady Mwgginch ?

You don't want to know my other list yet from DA Bec that one I am debating so bad .

6 years ago

Thank you Carol for all these advices ! Sleeping bags is a clever idea. I will try a potted rose this spring.

6 years ago

That's great Jin. Where did you order from?

I have Strawberry Hill but its small still. I have a young Rosette Delizzy and Mrs BRC in the ground. They are getting bushy and have bloomed a few times. They are really pretty but teas take their sweet time to get big.

I got a grafted Ebb Tide from the DA site last year. It gets a little black spot but not bad. The color is not deep purple especially in the summer. Its more pinkish.

I had an own root Sharifa Asma and it was beautiful fragrant and growing well. It died during the hurricane. I was gonna replace it this spring with a grafted one but the DA site said sold out.

6 years ago

Jasmin, Cool Roses .com

Whatever, I can't get, I am getting from from DA and KnM. I don't mind bare roots or own roots. I have direct sun for most of them. When it comes to shade , i am going to ask everyone's help.

Jin

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I can second SoFL's impression of Heritage here. Own-root, very vigorous, great landscape rose. But the blooms blow way too fast for the vase and the scent hasn't been great in my climate.

Evelyn is super here own-root in sandy soil. Jude own-root so-so in clay but super in sand, but they're larger than what I wanted. Sharifa seems to want to stay smaller.

Great list Jin! Ebb Tide was super vigorous in 105 heat here but the color was magenta, though there were fun violet surprises in the fall when it cooled off.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Gabibiche - just make sure it's a sleeping bag that you don't want to use again...it will get torn. :)

Plumeria - I absolute loved the smell of Strawberry Hill. One of my very favorite fragrances!!! Swoon!! I got rid of mine, because the canes were too thin, and I got tired of wrapping it around a tomato cage.

Carol

6 years ago

Here's some Jude the Obscure blooms. I love this rose. It does get a little black spot but sheds and replaces those leaves very quickly. Its a good bloomer here. Very fragrant. I love taking pictures of the globular blooms from all kinds of angles.

Sharifa Asma when I had her.

A delicate beauty

6 years ago

I just got the tracking # from the DA order that I ordered in December so they are on the way. Yayyy!

6 years ago

Awesome, Jasmine. Congrats on the arrivals. I can't put any orders in DA and if I do it is like I love every rose in catalog... lol. Having a real , real , real hard time.

Rosecanadian, thanks for the advice about Strawberry Hill. I am sorry it grows really thin canes. Oh, I would hate to get rid of roses.

Jasmin, love the looks on Jude. If, I get him, he will be my first global rose...lol

Jeff is so funny from Cool roses. He told me I better show up if not he will sell all my orders..hahaha

I am looking for a white DA rose that has scent and as cut flowers. Any suggestions ?

Jin

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jin. Litchfield ángel is my best white Austin and makes a great cut flower

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

SoF Rose, it must be catching because my DH also surprised me with roses for Valentine's Day! Well, actually a gift certificate from High Country Roses. He got it during their gift certificate sale which I had only mentioned in passing! I'm surprised because I also got roses from ARE during their Cyber Monday sale as a Xmas gift! Now I just need to decide if I want to wait til they have a sale to maximize or go for it to make sure they have those I really want! Hmmmm.

Plumeria Girl, I don't know how this rose would do in Florida (it gets some BS for me), but Bolero is a beautiful fragrant white.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yay Vaporvac! Im so glad. Shopping is almost the best part. Of course the best part is having all the beautiful blooms! :)

6 years ago

Vap, I did look into Bolero. It is beautiful but I need to see about the heat wise. I am not sure but I think I am on borderline of zone according to Dave's garden. I will check later again.

Vap, that is so cool what your husband did . Surprised, surprised :)

SoFl, your husband is awesome also. I am glad mine is awesome too. All he did was here my credit card have fun . He cooked dinner and all.

SoFl, I did order Lichfield Angel.. Thought, it was lighter color but turns white due to heat/sun. It is white ,duh...haha. I keep forgetting it is white.

How is Scepter'd Isle and Tess of the d'Urbervilles ?

Lavenderlace, thank you . I think magenta is ok. I might put Ebb in afternoon shade- maybe.

I had this feeling , I am moving all the roses as Not plan in my garden due to heat, burn and what not.

What do you guys recommend for BS during rainy seasons?

Jin