SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_luedke

Opening our living room wall to the sunroom

Nancy L
6 years ago
Hello! Our house was built in 1952 and started as a 2 bedroom ranch. The second floor addition of 3 more bedrooms and a bathroom was done in the 70s. So our living space is the appropriate size for a 2 bedroom, not a 5 bedroom! There is no separate dining room. We have three children and are trying to achieve a larger living room/dining space.

I believe we were the last house built on the block, so we don't have much land to work with in terms of expansion. The concrete porch off the back of the house was converted to a 3 season sunroom by the previous owner and the windows of the living room look out into it. It has southern exposure, but our living room no longer gets much in the way of natural light and stays very dark on a grey day. there's also no windows to bring air flow to the living room right now. The sunroom is wonderful, but very hot in the summer and too cold for the winter, even with the baseboard heater we installed.

My hope is to establish a larger living room and dining area for our growing family with lots of natural light in the living room. Our garage is connected to the sunroom and I'm interested in creating a small mudroom, if possible, to keep coats and boots out of sight. The wall between the living room and sunroom is the old exterior of the house and there's two brick pillars between the windows.

What factors do I need to consider that I'm not thinking of? Is this a doable project that will get me the space I'm looking for? Is temperature regulation going to be a problem if we combine the rooms? Currently, we can't keep enough chairs at the table for our family without it blocking traffic. I'm hoping to have a tv area, a lounge area and a dining area with the ability to seat more at a bigger table. I appreciate any insight!

Comments (12)