SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

Propagation tent humidity levels.

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

After almost 2 week after sticking, I decided to put a tent over my Tsuga canadensis cuttings to help keep them from drying out too quickly.

I have no idea how 'humid' they should be and all my web searches left me with no real information about this particular species.

Just to give an idea about the conditions here. The ambient temperature in the basement hangs between 55-60df, this time of year (with very cold temps outside the house). The new hygrometer showed 49% R.H. after 24 hrs. out of the package.

When I added the tent (a one piece sheet of plastic, tied around the bottom snug to the table top) the temp inside the tent went to 60-62df and the R.H. shows around 70% +- a couple percent.

There is a heat mat under the trays that runs steady and my soil temps are generally between 68df and 72df. with one or two places on the mat a little warmer @79df and cooler @66df.

For the last few days of using the tent there's always a fog and small droplets on the inside of the plastic and these drops do precipitate down on the plastic and drip some on the countertop that the small table is on. And if you look at the plants inside, they look uniformly damp and have tiny droplets of water that glisten in the indirect sunlight that penetrates the curtain.

Is this too much moisture? Should I vent the tent every day or so? Do I need the tent at all figuring the cool range of basement temps? Any opinions or suggestions from experience would be welcome. I think the tent is working but maybe just too wet?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022