SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesniffer

David Austin Recommendation for student?

Rose Sniffer
6 years ago
Hello everyone~ I am a college student who loves flowers and instead of putting money into buying a very expensive bouquet for my mother to thank her at graduation, I want to give her an actual shrub of roses that she can care for and enjoy for a long time. Im a beginner and I have been taking care of my miniature Kordana Rose - but I heard miniatures are quite easy to take care of haha. I've attached a couple of pictures of this little cutie.

Recently, I ordered a Queen of Sweden bareroot from Burpee, but I'm worried the shipping date might make it too late for it to bloom in time (they ship the root early March and my graduation date is early May- leaves it 2 months to bloom). My requirements of growing are in a large 20 gallon grow bag (I am in a dorm with a patio, so air and sunlight is no problem). I've seen some DA roses online and they are so beautiful!! I would not mind growing two DA roses.

Should I go ahead and order another rose to guarantee blooms, or do you think I can take the chance and wait? If I should get a rose- help! I need your expertise and recommendations!! I would prefer a pretty upright growth, shrub, and easy care! I love pink roses, but all DA roses are so gorgeous I wouldn't mind other colors, especially if they are recommended for my situation! Scent is an extra plus, but not very important to me. So far I have looked at Charlotte, Desdemona, Princess Alexandria of Kent, Alnwick, Jude the Obscure, Scepter'd Isle.

My grow zone is 9 and I prefer a rose that will do well with lots of heat and humidity as FL is already getting very warm. My mom will be taking it back to Virginia (zone 7) Thank you so much in advanced!

Comments (27)