SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rblankenship6

need throw pillows

C Renee
6 years ago
Asking for suggestions on throw pillows. Although I love the ones on there now, I think they’re too “cutesy” for the rug. My style is transitional I think? Or updated traditional...Would also welcome suggestions on drapes.

Comments (73)

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The rest of the photos that show how much room around sofa.
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And two more
  • Related Discussions

Throw pillow arrangement?

Q

Comments (1)
    Yeah, I think 26 x 26 would overwhelm the loveseat. I would do what you propose on the sofa, but look for a pair of smaller, complementary pillows to go on the loveseat. They don't need to match the sofa; in fact, it's a more interesting look when they're a bit different.
    ...See More

Need Throw Pillow/Blanket Suggestions

Q

Comments (8)
    So far everything is neutral so if you’re trying to stay within the neutral you’ve got going on you’ll need to add lots of tone on tone texture and beautiful elements done in glass, iron, etc for decor. I would go all out in textured pillows and a chunky throw or two. MagnoliaHome brand at Pier 1 has great pillows. I have several from this line for our living space but I did replace the insert with a down fill one for a better ‘smoosh factor’ ;). https://www.pier1.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-pier1_us-Site/default/Search-Show?q=Magnolia home pillows
    ...See More

Two sofas...same throw pillows or different?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you Judy. I was thinking watery blues also. but I don't trust my sense of design. I will post photos of the couches and also my inspiration - a photo from Arhaus that I have held onto for years. I''ll be back with photos. Thank you again.
    ...See More

suggestions needed for throw pillows

Q

Comments (6)
    There is a concept of value contrast with colors- and also something like clear vs muddy or soft colors. the rug to me looks high- contrast and also more vino, clear colors rather than softened colors. So I would be looking for pillows covers that echo those features. It doesn’t mean the entire pillow or print has to be high contrast, deep and clear, because there could be some prints that include softer or more muted colors , as long as there are some parts or bits in the print or trim that reference the rug, some of the strong red, blue, black, or white. So if you actually wanted to tone down the rest of decor you might look for that type of combination specifically.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Thanks for the additional photos. The space you have to walk around he sectional is enough. It is still too large for the room, but you can work with it.

The 2 round tables are in the wrong place. The tables and lamps should be by the sectional. I am assuming the reason you don't have them by the sectional is that there is not enough room.

I am perplexed as to how a sofa and chairs was too large for the room, but the sectional is not.

If there is no need for lamps for you around the sectional, I suggest replacing the tables and lamps with 2 floor lamps.

Finally, I suggest removing all the small little items on the piano and bookshelves. One grouping of about 3 family photos is fine....perhaps on the piano. Otherwise, the bookcases should be filled with books and/or a grouping of like items.

Rénovation d'un appartement Perret · More Info
    If you add like items, make sure there is plenty of open space in the bookshelves.
    Library · More Info

Also, consider painting the back of the bookcases the color of the teal wall in your dining room.

Living Room · More Info

C Renee thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you CDR. You've been a huge help! I agree, I do need to work on those shelves and the piano! That's next on my list after I figure out pillows and drapes. You are correct, there's no room on either side for tables so that's why they're in the corners. I will probably put a small on on the left side though. And the floor lamps are a great idea! My friend actually also suggested to paint behind the bookcases the same teal color that's in the dining room. We plan on doing that!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

What you can do is to buy a couple of C tables for the ends of the sectionals. I recommend removing those oddly placed tables. Do you have any floor lamps you could put there for now to help you envision?

Pied a terre · More Info

• loobab
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

C Renee-

Oh my, the round table with the inlaid wood is gorgeous, gorgeous! Too wonderful to be hidden off in the corner. Can you use it as a side table to the sectional?

Actually, scrolling back through the comments, talented BeverlyFLADeziner showed a mockup with a round end table.

I am not sure why you need the round table in the other corner of the room either. Can you try the room with out it? I think you might find the room to be overall lighter and freer without the excess furniture that really serves no purpose. Similarly the lamps on those tables served no purpose as they are too far from the sectional to serve as task lighting for someone who is reading at the sectional.

If you want to illuminate the art work in those corners you can get picture lights. If the room is overall dark, you can change your ceiling fixture, and/or change and/or add to your wall lights.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

It appears that the sectional is too large to have end tables and still allow enough space for foot traffic.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Renee, you have a lovely home. I hope you don't discard the pillows you already have; they're perfect in color and style. It's a large sofa so you can always add more. I'd like to suggest another rug for your dining area, making sure it's large enough to easily pull out chairs and have them on the rug. Too much wood flooring can make a home look cold.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Someone suggested that I paint behind my bookshelves and add more books so I did :) looks much better in person!
  • loobab
    6 years ago

C Renee- Wow- it looks gorgeous!

You are so brave! I would have cut construction paper to size and lived with it for a few weeks before I would have been brave enough to do something so permanent!

It gives such depth, just marvelous, good show!

How did you prep the cabinets? Did you need to sand them first? Or did you just paint them?

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Loobab the back of the cabinets are Sheetrock so it was pretty easy. And I wasn’t afraid because the same color is in my dining room and the griege really needed some color. I’m very happy with the way it came out!
  • loobab
    6 years ago

C Renee- Congrats!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

The bookshelves look so much better! I like how you have a theme going with the china.

May I suggest that the bottom left photo looks out of place. I'd group that somewhere else with some more casual photos. I suggest mostly books on the bottom shelf to ground the shelves above. Add a more formal photo or a piece of china on bottom to left of books.

Please remove the photos and candle by the tv. They really are just distracting. If you need more photos in the room, do a small grouping on the piano.

Do you see how, now, you see those photos. Prior, they were lost is the shuffle.

• natesg
    6 years ago

You did a great job! It’s striking.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I agree CDR, need something else other than that photo on the bottom shelf. I’ll shop my house and see what I can come up with. And I removed the photos from the fireplace ;)
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I added books to the bottom CDR. I have to have something centered on the bottom back wall because there’s an outlet there. I have more built ins throughout the house. Can’t wait to tackle them now!
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Forgot the photo...
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

mix a few of these in? let me know i will ditch what you don'tlike.

Amaryllis Pillow 18" x 18" – Golden Hill Studio · More Info

Oblong · More Info

Amaryllis Pillow 18" x 18" – Golden Hill Studio · More Info

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow havingfun those are all beautiful. The first one is not really my style but I really like the others!
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

some went missing on me, sorry.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

That looks great how you styled the bottom shelf. For the right side, I would change out the basket to a wide silver or china bowl.

Trying to get a sense of the feel you are trying to achieve, I found this in your ideabook. Beautiful space, but quite different from your look. Are you just trying to use some of the traditional items you have, yet update your space? If so, so far you are doing well. Note how streamlined this room is.....not a lot of little pieces of decor sitting everywhere.

Almendral Project · More Info

Could you please take a photo of the bookcases from this view? When I suggested painting the bookcase back, this is where I think it has the most impact.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I saved that photo because of the fireplace. We are wanting to update the fireplace in a year or so (have several projects going in right now). I also loved the wood of the coffee table in that photo because I think it would be great for a mantel. And I’m not a big fan of the minimalist look...I like having things displayed as long as it doesn’t start looking cluttered. The silver bowl idea on the shelf with the basket is a great idea! I guess I am very traditional once I think about it. But I’m not happy without color. I figured that out the hard way!
    Here are the photos:
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The color on the bookshelves don’t show well in photos but in person it’s stunning. It made a huge difference. It makes me happy :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

So glad you are liking it! I see you have already removed the round table and added a C table. It looks great!

I suggest removing the sconces, presuming they are candle sconces and not hard-wired. They are too small. If you want sconces there, add taller ones. However, think about what they bring: are you wanting more light.....they are providing little.

For the window wall, I would remove the art and sconce and add drapery panels.

I don't think the new stone fireplace is a good choice for the style you have. I actually think it looks good as it is. Instead, I 'd add arched wood filler pieces to the top of your bookcases to repeat the arched doorways and to bring them to the ceiling. I'd also put lights in them. This would highlight the paint you just added.

Big Canyon · More Info

Urban Townhome Living Room · More Info

Lot 948 @ Norton Commons · More Info

Could we see the wall behind the sectional?

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I agree about the scounces but they’ll have to stay per my hubby lol. He has them screwed in the wall and said he’s not removing them. (They were a gift from him). We like to light the candles at night. Would like to come up with a way to beef them up. Maybe add something behind them or build molding to go around them?
    Here’s a photo of the foyer behind the sectional. I know this table isn’t long enough for the area but that’s the table that came out of the other corner and it needs a home for now. I still have the large round table where it is. I would love to use it as an end table because it’s so beautiful and hidden in its current position. I may use it in my bedroom. And regarding the drapes...I sooo want drapes! I have gone through 4 samples that I purchased and nothing I bring home ever works. I wanted cream or ivory but they look too stark. I tried a light teal version and it started looking cutsey.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I'd add some diamond white color to your space. ( a color close to your trim color).

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’ll look into that CDR. Adding the white to the sofa is a good idea as well. The trim is actually cream (I’m not cray about it) but can’t change that out right now. I’ll look for the drapes.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

You might try something with teal pattern or for a more elegant look, you could hang drapes the same color as your walls

The sectional is challenging because it is a lot of taupe. If you want to keep the sectional, you might paint your walls, since you like color.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/studio-casey-jacquard-grommet-top-curtain-panel/pp5006470506?COLOR=Imperial+Teal&amp%3Brrec=true&pTmplType=regular&rrplacementtype=product1_rr

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow that’s beautiful!! I’ll have to try those. I really like the pattern too. Very elegant.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

i have so many others you can get away with.i have other modern ones that are bright colors, yet are sophisticated in a modern way.

Favorable SOFO Nordic Style Peacock Print Cushion Cover Throw Square Pillow Cove · More Info

Amazon.com: Luxbon Set of 4 Pcs Vintage Style Peacock Print Cushion Cover Durabl · More Info

believe it or not you can buy separates, but often the sets cost roughly $25 total. most are cotton and/or linen, and amazon also sells the down inners.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The peacocks are lovely!
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

you are able to find them?

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I did!
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Would these crafted cotton curtains with Pom Poms work in this room? I absolutely love them. Wanted to see if the fabric and color would go with what I have. Would I need light colored throw pillows?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I agree those drapes are beautiful. I would add teal, deep rust and cream pillows to the sectional.

C Renee thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • artistsharonva
    6 years ago

In regards to decorative pillows.

I saved a lot of $ buying decorative pillow covers off Amazon instead of a whole new pillow.

I measured all my out dated but in good shape pillows, searched online by size, & got washable pillows with zippers.

I also bought peacock pillow covers last month. I'm very happy with the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y63NQYG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519650711&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=peacock+pillow+cover

• User
    6 years ago

When will the insanity of throw pillows stop? it's overgrown itself: when I go to visit people, I can't sit on the couch because there are throw pillows there. So what do I do? I throw the pillows on the floor. Hotels have picked up the trends and now have throw pillows on the bed. I have to throw these to the floor also. A beautiful sofa should be unadorned. How many throw pillows should be on an 80" sofa so that three adults sitting on the sofa are un-involved with the throw pillows.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

The trend in hotels is actually to eliminate throw pillows on the bed, for the reason you state, Nel.

I agree......throw pillows should serve you, not the other way around. Because this sectional is so large, visually you need something to break it up. A few pillows are okay.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes my sectional really needs color because it's very large and neutral. As I see it, the best way is with throw pillows.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

Prints | At Home · More Info

Amazon.com: Generic Custom Pillow With Filler Vintage Blue Elegant Colorful Peac · More Info

Amazon.com: Homecube 18 "X18 " Decorative Peacock Pillowcase Cotton Linen Square · More Info

Lucien Embellished Peacock Teal & Green Pillow | Pier 1 Imports · More Info
    a few more peacock pillows

• havingfun
    6 years ago

sorry, the last one is no longer there. they do have one on a blue velvet pillow, lovely but out of my budget.

• j9olson
    6 years ago

Get rid of the owl, but keep the blue one and tree one. Rust and blue pillow good. Peacock pillows maybe. Don't get too matchy with the rug

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I don’t know why it’s the small things like throw pillows in interior decorating that really slow me down in a room! For me, they’re a very important element.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

i know i love them too. and i do not believe you need to pile them on for an impact. i actually like the owl.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

You'll know when you find something you love. I'd be careful not to add too much pattern, though, as your rug is busy.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

as artist said, they are pillow covers, that is all most of them sell nowadays. Amazon does sell the down stuffers for under $10. I love amazon, they are almost always linen &/or cotton. not so with overstock or wayfair - who believe it or not, i just caught them charging more for a pillow cover than joss and main where they got it from.

on the other hand, you can get bargains in many places, the one i am about to put up is silk, sold on Houzz, currently -wait for it-$1!

Metallic Sequins Flower Art Silk Silver Lumbar Pillow Cover, Mystic Silks · More Info

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hung the curtains today. Still need to steam them! Removed the two art pieces and will hang them on either side of the arch. Also took down the plates.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Good progress. They are very pretty and elegant. I think they work well with the china display on the shelves.

I am liking the white and teal pillows. I would duplicate those on the other end and in the corner.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

They look great:)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths