SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dachare

Obscure Glass Window in Bathroom?

dachare
6 years ago

I'm having replacement windows installed throughout my house. Most of the decisions are made, but I'm waffling on one. The window in the main bathroom is above the toilet (not in the shower), and about 3.5 feet above the floor. I'm 5'5, and the bottom of it is right below my breasts. Right now, it's not obscure glass, but maybe it should be with the replacement? For reference, it's a long, narrow bathroom with the shower and vanity across from each other, then the toilet in a nook off to the side.

I walked through the alley, and it's about 50/50 on whether or not people have obscure glass in their bathroom windows (all the houses on the block are identical). The backyards are really deep, for the city (about 20'), but my house is also "sunken" from the alley, so seeing in the back upstairs windows is a little "easier" than those on the flat part of the street (not that easy, but I guess possible if you're *trying* to be a perv).

It's not a huge cost difference (only like $40 or so, on a project that's well into 5 figures), just a design choice. I don't care because I sit down to pee, but maybe men would be put off by having a non-obscured window over the toilet? Because of the size and location of the window, it's a casement (crank-out), so even if you opened it a few inches, the obscure glass *would* provide privacy from most angles.

Comments (22)