SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenkellen

SPEED OVEN: What are the Pro and Con reasons to consider ?

ellenkellen
6 years ago

Working out details on kitchen remodel of our 22 year old cookie cutter house. Want to get rid of counter microwave and counter toaster oven and replace both with new wall Speed Oven. I am Concerned about the following:

· Will S.O. broil (to melt cheese) ?

· Can I use metal sheet pans to bake meats in ?

· Can I grill fresh veggies well ? In what pan ?

· How to adjust recipes to bake cakes, pies, cookies ?

· Ease of cleaning up messy spills ? What product to clean with?

· No foil allowed to cover casserole dishes ?

Feel free to comment and explain any of the above concerns that I think will affect my decision.

Also, do you have BOTH a speed oven and a large REGULAR oven for that “Thanksgiving Turkey”? Please share your personal preferences and experiences to help guide my decisions. Thanks for your input, suggestions and advice.

Comments (41)

• DrB477
    6 years ago

The main downside to a speed oven is cost and that you can't use the MW (like say to melt butter) while using the oven for something else. So one appliance can do both things, but not at the same time like two actual seperate appliances can. Additionally, while it does a good job as an oven or a MW, putting the two together in speed mode can be challenging to get good results with (how long to cook for, what settings to use). Some models have sort of a built in recipe book, but just haven't really found that to be all that great for my needs. Also for a lot of things it doesn't really save enough time to bother. Do I really need chicken nuggets done in 8 mins instead of 12? Generally not. So in the end I mostly use it either as a MW or oven, not very often as a speed cooker. I would have been perfectly fine with a cheaper appliance that was both a good oven and a good MW but I am not sure such a thing exists.

To get real oven functionality you probably need to spend up for a better 240v model. Miele, 240v ge, Bosch benchmark all seemed good when shopping... I got the Miele.

Different models will have different features. The Miele has a broiler which works very well. Cleaning hasn't been an issue with careful use of covers when in MW mode. I also always leave the glass tray it comes with in place to function as basically the bottom of my oven. That cleans up easy with easy off and a run through the DW.

Most (all?) of the speed ovens are small so having just that as your only oven would be a challenge for most families.

ellenkellen thanked DrB477
  • Related Discussions

Pros and cons for the BS and Gaggenau wall ovens

Q

Comments (1)
    From what little I know, there is no better wall oven than a Gaggenau. If price is not an issue, I think many here will advise you to go for it! Good Luck!
    ...See More

Pros & Cons of Rangetop vs. Range Oven?

Q

Comments (9)
    It's really a matter of personal choice. I can't answer your questions specifically, can tell you my experience. We had a wall oven and a cooktop. We recently replaced the cooktop with a 36" Wolf DF, and kept the wall oven (best of both worlds, and allows for 2 ovens--wold recommend it if it's a possibility for you.) I absolutely love the range, and there's no way I'd go back, even if it meant having to give up my wall oven. The wall oven has some definite pros: 1) It's slightly higher than the range oven, and this makes it much more comfortable to use, especially when taking frequent temperatures, lifting heavy pans of food, and stirring things in the oven 2) If I'm at the range, DH can be working on something in the oven (or vice versa), and we aren't in each other's way. 3) Some people (although, not me) find that the stove is uncomfortably hot to stand in front of while the oven is in use 4) Some people find the oven door bar on the range presses uncomfortably into their legs 5) The Wolf range oven door is heavy I'm not sure whether there is a particular benefit to the range oven, per se, as compared to a Wolf or comparable wall oven. Some of the appliance gurus on this forum can speak to that. Some people (and I'm one...) just *adore* the Wolf range. That could be a big selling point at resale time--a gorgeous, professional range. But as many a GWer has explained to me, the tastes of future buyers are hard to predict! As for your little one, my range oven doesn't get any hotter than the wall oven. The handle is lower to the floor, though, if you're worried about your little one pulling the door open. I think you'll be thrilled either way. Hope this was helpful!
    ...See More

Pros and Cons of Slide-In Ranges versus Cooktop and Oven Cabinet

Q

Comments (42)
    The dials on a slide-in range are at the front. You don't reach over the hot burners and steaming pans to change temps. This is recommended for "universal access" kitchens because a wheelchair person can use them a little better, although the surface is not lowered. These dials are easily accessed by a child, which might not be a benefit, though, if the child is just playing. The digital clock on the upright backed models is easily seen from a distance; same with the lighted indicators that show whether surfaces are hot or oven is in use. On a slide-in, the front dials and controls are on the same plane as the cooking surface so I would assume you need to approach the unit to see the lights. somewhat off topic.... regarding ranges....We began this remodel with the intention of using our old electric coil range until it died. I began to do some research and found that the upraised back on new ranges has risen significantly in my lifetime. I suspect that the gov't began to require that the dials be positioned farther from the cooking surface--in two past ranges I've worked with the dials were cockwacky because they'd melted a bit. Today's range appears to be abt 75 inches tall at the back OR HIGHER. This is a significant design aspect if you're planning new construction. We thought we'd put our niche behind range up high enough to clear any new range but when I got new one, there it is arching in front of the bottom of the niche just a bit. If you're going for a standard range like this, forget any fancy backsplash, esp if you have an under cab hood unit there also, since it has to be mounted lower than some of the decorative hood units. Our niche extends up behind the vent unit, which allows taller bottles if I get crazy and buy one of those exotic olive oils or something. There is only about a foot of actual space between the top of the range's arched back and the bottom of our vent unit. Doesn't bother me at all. nini804, there's a quote that says that any time form goes before function, take our your wallet.
    ...See More

Breville ovens -- smart vs compact? Pros/cons?

Q

Comments (42)
    All the photos and experience you all so generously provided were a huge help to me. Update: I spent my precious points on the compact and it fits perfectly under my plate rack! However, I did get a laugh this morning when I had to read a book to learn how to make toast! Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their input & suggestions. So many things these days offer convenience but turn out to be a PITA and end up in the donation box. It was great to know in advance that I wasn't stumbling into that. Do think I really will enjoy the Breville. (Just a P.S. to anyone doing any shopping at Crate & Barrel for the holidays. I didn't know about this at all. I bought ornaments for Xmas gifts at Crate last year. They offered 10% off that purchase if I took out their credit card, so I did. I didn't buy another thing there until September when we needed a new sofa on sale. I used their card. That purchase gave me 1% points valid for several months. I used those points for this purchase, also on the card, online putting in the coupon code. This was a very nice added value to the sofa purchase. )
    ...See More
  • javiwa
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We're recent empty nesters and purchased a Bosch (240v) speed oven to replace the microwave during our recent reno. We use the Bosch as a second, smaller oven (convection mode) when it's a waste to fire up the wall oven for small jobs such as roasting garlic or cooking a couple of baked potatoes. Have to say, though, DH finds it too much of a hassle to remove the microwave plate and insert the convection/'bake' rack in order to bake potatoes, so he still uses the large oven to bake four potatoes....ugh. :/

I bake a lot throughout the year, so still use the main oven for cookies, cakes, pizza, breads, etc. But the speed oven does come in handy for multiple stuffings, mac-n-cheeses, pies on Thanksgiving.

The speed oven 'modes' supposedly combine both microwave and oven cooking -- I presume the appliance switches back and forth between the two when cooking any particular food. I tried fiddling with these preset modes a few times, but was frustrated: potatoes were undercooked, chicken was overcooked, etc. Having cooked for decades, I skip the presets and use the oven mode. The speed oven should come with an instruction manual, and I'm sure every manufacturer is different.

As long as you remember to switch on the convection/oven mode (for Bosch), as opposed to microwave mode, you can use metal, foil, etc. When using the speed mode? Again, check the instructions.

Clean-up: my one regret is our purchasing the model with the door that opens like an oven (DH's pick)....it's a devil to clean -- very difficult to get at the back of the oven with a door shoved in your chest. :) I'd highly recommend a side-swing door.

Broiling: The Bosch Benchmark does have a heating/broiling coil at the top. While a welcome option, it IS difficult to clean around.

Good luck with your remodel! I hope all goes well.

ellenkellen thanked javiwa
  • cobalt21
    6 years ago

If you want a speed oven Miele is the way to go. It does it all and does it well. We do have a 36" gas range as well, but Miele heats up so fast we use it more than big oven. It is 220v and has a drop down door. Microwave, bakes, broils, convection, and lots of combinations of each combined. It uses real burners not light to cook with. Best appliance we have ever owned, but pricey.

ellenkellen thanked cobalt21
  • ellenkellen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate all your great answers to my concerns. THANK YOU.

TO: RonNatalie, the "sheet pans" are the larger flat
    cookie trays/sheets to bake lots of cookies at same time. And the 240
    Advantium is one of the models we're considering. GE comes in SLATE
    color, which I prefer instead of stainless, which is what both the Miele and
    Bosch ONLY come in. Any other brand that does NOT make a stainless steel
    speed oven?

TO: DrB477: I agree wanting to re-heat something quickly in
    M.W, while the oven is baking something else at same time, will drive
    Hubby nuts ! I like your idea to always leave the glass tray it comes
    with in place to function as basically the bottom of my oven. Do you bake
    using Pyrex or older corningware pans with glass lids?

TO Javiwa: The BOSCH being more difficult to clean is
    concerning. It sounds like the Miele or GE Advantium clean easier ?
    Which brand makes a SWING door instead of standard pull down door ?

TO: cobolt21: Another vote for Miele from you ! Using
    real heat burners instead of lights as in GE, makes sense. What do others
    think about the lights from GE ?

I thank you all, and I will have other questions as I decideon which cooktop and
    other ideas looming for our remodel kitchen endeavor.

• javiwa
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

ellenkellen: Below is a pic of the Bosch. Haven't yet had the time or energy to thoroughly clean the burnt-on grease and BBQ sauce splatter from a year or two ago.

(Might need to click to enlarge.)

And all those teeny-tiny holes in the back panel? A cleaner's nightmare.

We were in the midst of such renovation he!! that I didn't anticipate the cleaning issues. Right now, it takes my climbing up onto a chair or small step ladder and doing circus contortions to reach the back of the SO (as you can tell, somewhat unsuccessfully!) -- the entire time, taking care not to put weight on the open door.

This may have just knocked Bosch right out of the running for you. ;)

ellenkellen thanked javiwa
  • javiwa
    6 years ago

Sorry, ellenkellen -- I didn't answer your question. We didn't research any other speed oven brands as our reno started with replacing the cooktop. For all our requirements and limitations, the Bosch induction cooktop was the best fit. We stuck with Bosch as the speed and wall ovens seemed perfectly fine, and we hit one of their (many/regular, it sounds like) package discounts.

• Kim G
    6 years ago

I have the Miele Speed Oven as my 3rd oven in addition to my 30” wall oven and combi steam. I use the two smaller ovens the most as they heat quickly and I can fit any of my baking dishes. The Miele Speed as the above posters have pointed out is a very versatile oven as it has all the oven modes you can expect, a microwave mode and a combi(speed) mode. I rarely use the combi (Speed cook mode) but when I have it has worked well. Great for baked potatoes when you want them done quickly. A tip for cleaning is to put a solution of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water in a measuring cup and heat until boiling and let it boil then steam for several minutes. That will help loosen grease and other deposits. I have the pure line and it has very little stainless and I believe it offers some color/finish options.

ellenkellen thanked Kim G
  • ellenkellen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To KIM G: Thanks for the tip on cleaning with vinegar/water boiled inside! This solution (both the liquid and answer to cleaning) is going to come in handy no matter which speed oven we select. I'll check out PURE LINE in Miele for their alternative color/finish choices.

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

I haven’t seen any speed ovens that have a side swing door. That would be a good idea - anyone aware of any?

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

I put my cookies straight on the one of the Advantium-provided platters (you get a glass one for microwave-only use, two flat metal trays, and a grill tray with the oven).

ellenkellen thanked Ron Natalie
  • ellenkellen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ron Natalie: Thanks for that tip to use provided platters. I did not know that 2 flat metal trays & grill tray were included in the Advantium. I need to ask GE dealer if these are still included in 2018 models. How many DOZEN cookies can bake at a time? I think the Advantium is 30" and the MIELE is not this wide to bake as many dozens at once? Can our MIELE owners say if this is True or False ?

• Fori
    6 years ago

I use a 1/4" sheet pan in my Miele. It is probably not ideal for air circulation because it's pretty tight but seems to work well enough anyway. Mine came with only one rack. It won't do dozens of cookies at once. It's too small to be an ONLY oven

I use my range oven for cookies, pizzas, and turkeys, but almost everything else goes in the speed oven, and is cooked with normal baking instead of the combo.

To me, the small size of the Miele is one of its best features. My previous kitchen had a 24" wall oven and a range oven and I really liked having the two sizes. (Turns out I could do without the speed aspect, but the fast preheat and even baking are still nice.)

ellenkellen thanked Fori
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

The sizes may be a little misleading. GE is 30" but it's much more "wasted" space than Miele and the two have the same (1.7 ft) total capacities in their specs. Exactly what you can fit in one vs the other I'm not sure. My Miele has enough racks/trays/positions that you can theoretically do 3 levels at once but I'd say two is more realistic (and I've done that).

• nycbluedevil_gw
    6 years ago

Agree 100% with Fori.

• ellenkellen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To DrB477: Thanks for clarifying the Miele and GE both have 1.7 total capacity. Can you fit a 9" x 13" pan inside your Miele? This is the most used size microwavable Corningware/Pyrex and metal baking pans I use frequently in both regular baking and in my current countertop microwave. I saw a GE in someone's kitchen yesterday, and their interior speed oven was also quite stained and I was told how difficult it is to clean the rear of the oven. Otherwise, they "love" their advantium speed oven features.

• DrB477
    6 years ago

Yes that will fit

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

Yes a 9x13 fits in the Advantium, I use that all the time. The platter is 16" in diameter so I can probably fit a dozen cookies on it. Yes, GE still gives you four platters (as I described above) with the Advantium. Just had the latest one installed.

ellenkellen thanked Ron Natalie
  • weedmeister
    6 years ago

1. most have a 'broiler' in the top of the oven. The Advantium may have halogen, I forget. So melting cheese is fine. However, they don't toast that well, if at all.

2. In convection mode, you can use whatever you want. Microwave and combi modes will have some restrictions. As mentioned, some of these come with their own pans and trays. Some folks have 'issues' storing and remembering to swap them out. Usually best to plan to have a drawer or some other space close at hand for these items.

3. What does grilling in an oven mean? Or a microwave?

4. As a convection oven, you may need to reduce your times somewhat. As a combi-unit, some of them (like the Advantium, Bosch and Meile) have 'menu' items that adjust for you, though you'll need to experience them to see if they work for you.

5. Cleaning is like cleaning a microwave. The interiors of these (not all) are stainless, so whatever you would clean stainless with would work. I use 409.

6. In convection mode, foil is fine. Otherwise, look for those glass Pyrex casserole dishes with lids. You could always use Saranwrap.

ellenkellen thanked weedmeister
  • ellenkellen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

HI weedmeister: I appreciate you for your detailed reply. I miswrote "grilling" vegetables. What I meant was "ROASTING" at high heat (425 - 450 F), and whether to use "convection" mode for roasting at high heat or not. Thanks !

• weedmeister
    6 years ago

Sure. You just want to make sure from the user guides whether you can get the oven that hot.

I have a GE convection microwave that goes up to 450F. I have no issues cooking anything (except size) that can be done at that temp or less.

ellenkellen thanked weedmeister
  • SEC
    5 years ago

I totally agree with Ron Natalie above. We're in the same boat. I've had an Advantium for almost 15 years. It's stainless inside and easy to clean. I use covers for any microwaving...and it survived four teens.... all now gone, married, and such. There are two things I really do not like about the 240 Advantium. I bought this advantium brand new and when it was installed, I noticed that the manufacture date was 2000! I had no idea of the manufacture date until it was installed in 2005. Also, on this model (and I have not seen the newer models) the interior door has some kind of coating, similar to a Teflon, and looks awful over time. GE was going to replace the door, but it was so old they didn't have one in stock. So, they cut me a check equal to what I paid for it! I wish the door interior was also stainless, but it's not. This "teflon-like" finish has peeled off on the door over time when I've wiped it down...and usually with just a hot dishrag with soapy water. I have my Advantium installed in a tall cabinet and opening about counter height. I use it for many frozen foods, baked potatoes, refrigerator danish, etc. I use tinfoil on most all of the metal pans. You don't want to use tinfoil on baked potatoes or other foods because they won't cook. Sometimes, I just put a piece of parchment paper over a dish so it won't splatter. I'm building a new house and I will put in another 240 Advantium. It's just too valuable to our way of life.

ellenkellen thanked SEC
  • ellenkellen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My thankx to everyone for their honest input about the speed oven. We have completed the Kitchen remodel and decided on the GE Advantium 120 instead of the 240, along with regular 30 inch wall oven. I'm still "practicing" figuring out cooking my own recipes using the Advantium, and I find the "menu choices" given by GE on the dial are not my style of cooking. They list too many ready made frozen items, (nuggets, rolls, & foods we don't eat) , so I"m trying to experiment with foods given on their menu which will be close to the raw meats that I do use is challenging. Even the cook book recipes they provide are not what I like to eat. I also am not used to placing raw meat on the metal tray provided, instead of putting it in a pyrex dish to speed cook it in, since I baste it or have marinated meat that is messy to clean off the metal tray. Any suggestions would be helpful.

• HU-302947150
    5 years ago

Hi Ellenkellen,

I'm going through a kitchen remodel and was considering the Advantium. Have you liked the functionality of it so far? Does it work as well baking as it does microwave?

Thx

• Jen Weiss
    4 years ago

Anyone have experience with the Kitchenaid double ovens that has the speed/convection oven on top that doubles as a microwave?

• Nancy Herring
    4 years ago

These seem pretty much like a PR excuse to slap a giant price tag on a microwave oven. I've cooked in the manner of a speed oven for ages: just microwave to a desired level of doneness and finish off in oven. All done. I've done this with roast chicken leg of lamb, roast potatoes and other veg. There is simply no point in this. Do yourself a favor save $2,000 and just buy a microwave.

• cyc2001
    4 years ago

Nancy, the point of the speed oven is that you can do the two things you described in a single appliance - it’s a microwave and a regular oven.

• M
    4 years ago

Our primary motivation in getting a SpeedOven was better space utilization. We live in HCOL area. Labor cost was going to dominate the project cost, and the remodel was going to cost many tens of thousands. The price difference between a $1000 or a $2000 built-in microwave wasn't a significant percentage of the project -- and we knew from the beginning that we needed a built-in microwave to keep the space looking tidy. At that point, paying $2000 to get another fully usable convection oven sounded like a better use of our resources, than spending $1000 for a limited purpose appliance (i.e. traditional microwave).

And that's exactly how it worked out. I regularly use all the ovens in my kitchen and love the fact that I have multiple. I do use the speed function every so often. But that is the least important benefit. It does help for the occasional baked potato or gratinated potatoes, though.

And I do love the fact that our Miele SpeedOven doesn't have a turn table. That gives a lot more usable space and adds to the versatility of this appliance. It's in fact a pretty decent wall oven just by itself.

• Nancy Herring
    4 years ago

Well doing two things with one oven means you are minus the use of the appliance for a while but I can't fathom paying that much money for that limited aspect. Maybe that's the difference I use my microwave all the time stews, a variety of curries, whole grains, sauces.

• dcraider
    4 years ago

I'll add another element to a speed oven for some models. We didn't want to dedicate space to a separate warming oven but wanted that feature. While most speed ovens claim to have warming function, most of them only incorporate warming feature AFTER the microwave cycle is completed. I believe Miele is one of those models. Bosch and Thermador offer it as a separate feature so taking something out of your main oven, you can throw it in the speed oven to keep warm while doing other things.

• Liz Ruork
    3 years ago

I am remodeling a tiny( tiny) kitchen.

i am cook more than a baker these days; occasional scones or muffins or quick loaf sometimes bread.

I use my conventional oven for braising, roasting ... haven’t used a grill for anything except toast in years . I am getting the 24 inch induction cooktop

I am considering replacing my oven and MW with 24 inch speed oven

i had the Panasonic combi mw convection grill combo for years but storing Racks and changing was horrible.

my questions

1. can I roast a decent size chicken?

2. could I braise lamb shanks in a 9x13 lasagna dish

3. can I make toast?

4. how many bits need to be stored?

5. Anyone tried any brands besides Miele GE or Bosch ?

thank you

• Kim G
    3 years ago

@liz - The Miele Speed oven should work for what you have listed ecept for toast (it does have a broiler element so theoretically you can toast each side separately). It accommodates all my 9X13 casseroles - some with handles. The largest sheet pan I use is a jelly roll (10X15) as it allows clearance for air circulation. It has many oven modes plus the microwave and it is very versatile. The biggest down side is cleaning as it has Miele Perfect Clean surface. I do clean mine by boiling water/white vinegar and that has worked well for me. I will admit I have not roasted a chicken or broiled meats so not sure how big of a mess that might make. Mine came with 2 glass trays and a stainless rack. It has 3 rack positions. I almost always use the glass tray in the bottom. Occasionally I put the rack in. I would do this to bake a cake/break/cookies (would want to experiment). I would suggest downloading their user manual to see if will work for your needs.

• M
    3 years ago

As far as cleaning is concerned, I'd recommend either 1) not roasting any meats in this oven, or 2) coming to terms with the fact that the oven will never look brand new again. Honestly, if this is your only oven, I'd do the latter. It doesn't really affect the functionality of the oven, if it permanently develops a bit of a patina over the years.

I fully understand about the complication of storing different baking sheets. They are such an awkward shape. Even if you don't have small kitchen, that can pose a challenge. If you are doing a full remodel, it would be a good idea to explore, whether you can install toe kick drawers. My contractor thought that this was a really tacky idea. But when everything was said and done, even he admitted that it is the perfect place to store baking sheets.

The Miele Speed Oven is a versatile and compact oven. If space is at a premium, I wouldn't hesitate recommending it. The fact that you now only have a single appliance for all your microwave, baking and roasting needs does mean you'll have to occasionally plan your cooking more carefully. And there'll inevitably be compromises. But that's always true when working around the limitations of a particularly compact kitchen.

• dcraider
    3 years ago

We have a Thermador Speed oven installed this past summer. We used the microwave function as well as the various cook/speed cook settings to make chicken, fish, and casseroles. You can't toast in a speed oven. For that you'll need a toaster or counter top toaster oven if you want. Honestly we cook a lot of small meals in our Cuisinart toaster oven which has convection feature. Love it. We hardly use our main oven at all with the speed oven and toaster oven on hand. We leave the metal and glass plates in. There is a wire rack that is either put in the up or down position for baking/cooking or left out if you are using it as a microwave oven. Cleaning is really easy.

• M
    3 years ago

I am curious why you can't make toast in your speed oven. From what I can tell, the Thermador oven is the same as my Miele speed oven in how it has both convection, a bottom heat element, and a broiler. So, I don't immediately see any reason why it couldn't do the same things that a toaster oven can do -- plus of course lots of other things.

• Janelle W.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@M @dcraider @ellenkellen, I'm interested in getting a speed oven to replace a countertop toaster and undermount microwave. I was hoping to use it like a toaster for English muffins, crumpets. Has anyone used the broiler setting to achieve a quick toast?

• saaronfamily
    3 years ago

@Janelle W. I have the exact same situation as you. Definitely hoping for toaster features as we use our toaster oven daily and would love to move it off the countertop, and the speed oven is the closest I've come to possibly finding this?

• Kivi
    3 years ago

houzz://user/janelle_w70. Wondering the same thing....

• Liz Ruork
    3 years ago

I looked at a few but the capacity seemed so small visually. I was v interested in the new sharp drawer model which said it would hold 2 9 x13 pans, and racks did not need to be pulled for microwave somehow. Control panel has clever clever design but...., won’t be available in Canada in foreseeable future and my Reno will start in the next few months
    But I do recooked people have a look at it

• dcraider
    3 years ago

So we indeed love our speed oven but I have to say what we use more then the main oven and the speed oven is the toaster oven! Our cuisinart toaster oven rocks for baking, broiling and toasting and defrosting even pretty quick, easy to clean up and so forth. While we love the two other appliances for large jobs or to try them out, no surprise but the simplest and cheapest appliance gets used all the time!

• gschives
    9 months ago

I am thinking of getting a Panasonic CS89LBFCPH speed oven sold in Canada. Does anyone have experience with these units? They advertise microwave, broiler, convection and steam options. While also having inverter controlled microwave power and a flatbed (no turntable is required). It can be countertop, and there is a trim kit for it, so we can put it into a built-in slot during kitchen redo. My current Amana RadarRange (name alone dates this at now 30 years old), is a flatbed and working well - but I think I may be tempting the fates to think it will last a lot longer. We put a Miele speed oven in the kitchenette - but the Panasonic seems more flexible. Does anyone have experience with this Panasonic model?