M T
6 years ago

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6
IS THE COLUMN LOAD BEARING? I have a column that is in my living room entry. Today I went into the attic to see if it could be load bearing. I do not have a basement. Please see the attic photo of the board that runs across from my living room wall to the front entry. Arrow is pointing up in pic 1. In pic 1 the attic board runs above the ceiling joists that are perpendicular to this board. It runs from the back wall of living room to the front entry. I can see under this board. See the red arrow pointing up. It is thin and doesn't appear to be resting on anything. To the far right of pic 1 where the air duct is located , the location is kind of dark but it is the column location which is just in front of the attic board and beyond the vertical boards in the front of pic 1.

You can get a better look at pic 2 and 3 that shows the column location by locating the red circled area. In pic 4 of the attic red arrow pointing down and pic 6 of the wall are the same which I think are load bearing.

The interior pics of 5 and 6 show the column location in the front entry. Pic 5 air register is about 5 feet from the column. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

Comments (3)