SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_chin77

Granite countertop decision

Michael Chin
6 years ago

My wife and I are redoing our kitchen and we have found two granites that we like with the cabinet and flooring selections we have chosen. Help us decide!! Attached are two photos. First one is African Golden Canyon and the second is Azul Fantasy.

Thanks in advance

Comments (134)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I'm not worried about any of that since my husband and I are heavily armed. anyone who drives across the desert w/o any type of protection is asking to become a victim.

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Darn straight Beth. Darn straight. You do what you have to do to take care of your own... this is open carry territory.

• Related Discussions

Granite countertop and island--How do I make a final decision???

Q

Comments (4)
    I am confused that is is called green, yet on your "more views" green is not mentioned in the description. Be that as it may, in going by the description, I don'think you can go wrong with this slab. It has many neutral colors. My suggestion would be to start thinking about the backsplash too. Here is where many of us have had the most difficulty. Do you have an inspiration kitchen? Have you checked the finished kitchen blog and the backsplash slide show? Just a suggestion for a bit dow the road.
    ...See More

Antiqued Titanium Granite Counter Top

Q

Comments (4)
    I love that!! I don't think there is any difference in durability/upkeep according to my fabricator. Maybe you could call a couple of fabricators and see what they say about it. That's a beautiful slab above hope you find "the one" you love!
    ...See More

Decision, Decisions, Decision, aka, Countertop Advice Needed

Q

Comments (5)
    Tropic brown, tan brown are two others. There are very dark golds like Juparana Tobacco or Paradiso which might work. You might also consider something like teak wood. Etching leaves white marks. On a brown marble it will be very visible. For fun, I got a two buck pink marble tile from the box store and had "science" when I was trying to decide about counters. Science consisted of pouring a small qty of lemon-lime soda on a bit of the marble and seeing if I could get it off before it etched. The answer was NO! I would suggest you spend a couple bucks to get a tile similar to what you want to use and have your own science project.
    ...See More

granite counter-top seams ... are we being too picky?

Q

Comments (44)
    These are my pics of my countertops placed Friday June 22, 2018. I cried looking at these seams. It looks so cheap. Fabricator explains that's the way it comes. I explained that I shouldn't be able to see the seams so clearly. It looks so unprofessional. They ended up taking them back to their warehouse. In hopes they say if it is quality control will try and fix it just to make it look better. Otherwise I will have to pay an additional fee for them to come out again to install. I just don't know what to do and if still looks the same. This is the first time I've replaced my counters in 24 years. I don't and can't live with it. looking at this for another 24 years. It looks so cheap and it really was not it's a lot of money to me. I hope fingers crossed that they will fix this problem. They never told me that there would be such seams. I thought the edges were done by a machine and it would be all one piece. I have read up on this and now understand there are seams. But now I do know that they should not look like this. If they are good fabricator you shouldn't be able to see them so clearly. I will find out next week what happens.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

absolutely. the poor fool that tries to jack me will get a one-way ticket to the morgue.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

Anyone who travels across the desert without ample water...will be risking death. :p My friend got pulled over at the speed trap that is usually manned and active when you have just crossed into Texas from NM doing something like...90-95mph? I warned him it would be coming up and to slow down but nope, didn’t listen to me.

6 years ago

I won’t live in the desert because of...scorpions, venomous snakes, and lord knows what poisonous else.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

gila monsters. there's danger everywhere you live, Jenn. perhaps you should change your byline.....

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Code name Anything that isn’t poisonous is ok danger doesn’t have quite the same ring and flow to it though!

eta...I willingly moved to Nebraska in tornado alley but some risks are just a bridge too far. ;)

• Patrick Myers
    6 years ago
    The Azul fantasy is gorgeous - it commands attention and will therefore draw the eye there. The floor will be a fun but subtle complement. That azul looks like something Monet would dream up!
    Michael Chin thanked Patrick Myers
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree - we tend to be drawn to stone that resembles classic works of art, Van Gogh, Fusion, and this Azul Fantasy... I'd definitely agree with your comparison! And we too believe the floor would be a subtle compliment that would work with the tones/undertones... Thank you for your thoughts!

• Dianna Wood
    6 years ago
    Granite is much higher maintenance than quartz. Potential resale in that demographic is probably better with granite. Mid Century Modern is typically clean lines and simple color. Sounds like you all had made up your mind before requesting any feedback. Post pics would love to see.
    Michael Chin thanked Dianna Wood
  • Claire Pope
    6 years ago

Following, can't wait to see home finished. Beautiful so far.

Michael Chin thanked Claire Pope
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dianna - wouldn't personally agree that granite is higher maintenance than quartz... but that depends on how you use your countertops. Sure if you choose to use them as cutting boards, then yes, quartz will win everytime. As for the lines and color of MCM - yes lines are simple, we've not gone contrary to that in our home and as for color.... MCM was borne of a color revolution. Colors were bolder (think sudden use vast amounts of mamie pink, avacado, persimmon, chartreuse, fire engine red, mint green, sunflower yellow, baby blue, turquoise in these homes - especially kitchens - to INCLUDE even the appliances) and use of natural light and materials were rampant throughout. One of the most prominent features is to bring the outdoors indoors. Which we are doing in lock-step with our home and also why we cannot use Quartz (as explained earlier in the thread). So - in lieu of color cabinets (except in one area) and color appliances, we have chosen to use a material that can bend from indoors to outdoors and gives the bold colors required to bring that kitchen space to life in MCM style. BUT all that said - no we haven't made up our mind on the two shown, and you didn't specify a preference - except to turn us off of either of our selections entirely by inserting preference for a material we cannot use. Our home will be what my wife likes to call "vintage-modern," or modernized MCM --- I mean let's be real, laminate countertops were ALL THE RAGE at the exact timeline of MCM, but we're not about to put that in the home, you modernize a bit. Clean lines simple color - that would be more truly just Modern, or Cubist, etc., not MCM.

• isabel98
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dianna Wood yes you are correct they have made up their mind....the question is "which stone do you prefer, the AGC or Azul?". Lots of people including myself would never consider quartz for a kitchen....

Michael Chin thanked isabel98
  • debvanatl
    6 years ago

I love both your selections, but think the Azul works best. What is the name of the flooring?

Michael Chin thanked debvanatl
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Michael, I think you're on the right track with either of your two choices. I personally prefer the African Golden Canyon. Too many people are afraid of bold, busy granites. Personally I prefer to let my granite be the star of the kitchen.

So this is my wife's absolute favorite - and honestly I can see why... perfect balance of lightness with the color we want... but we haven't been able to find it where we live. I have calls into a few houses/fabricators in town as of this morning to determine if we can get it sourced... we shall see...

That looks like a lighter version of Fascination Quartzite and from what I've been told, the mine has been shut down. It looks a lot like my quartzite.

Michael Chin thanked cpartist
  • leoisa
    6 years ago
    azul fantasy. !! sharp looking!!
    Michael Chin thanked leoisa
    6 years ago

I went from a house where the kitchen counters were pretty indestructible plain white porcelain/ceramic tile that I could cut fruit/meat/anything food directly on no cutting board required to one with first an obnoxiously tan-beige laminate then replaced with a lighter granite (Bianco Romano). I now own multiple cutting boards and remember to use them even. ;)

Maintenance is a different matter than aesthetic preference, and my previous house in SoCal (all homes in the area, really) - there’s nothing like it out here in Nebraska where the mister and I moved to. NOTHING. We like that though, the chance to be in a home that you would never find in SoCal in terms of style and obviously the size in relation to cost ;) so it is a good thing for us. The decision to utilize the budget in a way that blends form and function is a smart one - the OP knows what their reno/update requires to fit the style and environment it’s in. Not everyone takes the time to consider all that, and they’re the ones who will be living in the house, living with the materials chosen. What works for me, or works for anyone else, what anyone would decide to use for their home indoors or out - is going to be different and wasn’t the OP’s question in the first place.

So there’s that.

Michael Chin thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

I love the first slab with the floors. For some reason the second just doesn't work for me.

Michael Chin thanked suzyq53
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

debvanatl, the flooring is Ayers Rock in Rustic Remant

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's an update for those still interested... it is now officially "done" as of one day before Thanksgiving, but I've yet to take updated photos of the complete space - this will have to do for now - just so you can see the materials and how things go together! We absolutely love it and are so glad we went with our gut. No regrets - zero!

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This pic shows the general layout from outside the kitchen prior to completion - in this pic you can see the two-tone cabinets (all cabinets are white (upper and lower) except for the built-in wall, which is a color called Juniper Berry (a light blue-green-grey))... and the 10' bar :)

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This next pic shows the general layout from outside the kitchen such that you can see the new vaulted ceiling with 2, 2' x 7' skylights - these have automated solar light filtering shades - very very happy we did this! SO MUCH LIGHT!! They are amazing...

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's a picture of the other end of the kitchen prior to completion where we have the "clean-up station" with a 34" x 22" x 10" modern apron front sink. The first pic posted above is the prep-station sink (18" x 18" x 10" deep - GREAT size for a prep sink - undermount so about an inch smaller in either direction installed) at the end of the 10' bar... both sinks have disposals - also key for premium functionality...

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Last but not least, here's a picture of the main range beside the prep station prior to completion... since these pics we have completed the install of all the rest of the hardware, faucets, etc. which match the one in the first picture above and the pot-filler below (all satin brass), which is a great correlation to the two-toned vent...

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, as a general comment - the blue color painted on the walls is for an approximation of what the final will look like - we've yet to get the backsplash installed - but it will be this... except instead of white grout the grout will be a brass/gold color (to look like metal brass inlay)

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    If the flooring you are using is the one in the second photo, I would use a darker counter. A leathered black granite, a dark grey like Caesarstone Cement, or Silestone Charcoal Soapstone which would pick up the blue. Those granites are too busy for the flooring.
  • kim k
    5 years ago
    Its all coming together beautifully! I love how bold you went with color.
    Michael Chin thanked kim k
  • salonva
    5 years ago

Wow thank your for coming back and showing the results. it looks wonderful (and so timely!!). Can't wait to see the backsplash once installed. Please post pix when that is done.

Michael Chin thanked salonva
  • CC
    5 years ago
    WOW! It looks awesome, great job... I'm just curious, I can't tell from the photos, did you pick the AGC or Azul? It's hard to tell with the reflections. I can't wait to see your tile installed. It's going to be amazing... love the sinks!
    Michael Chin thanked CC
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

Its a beautiful kitchen. Nice to see a bit of color in it too. So many are sterile and stark these days. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Michael Chin thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

michael,,,wow. yay for color! love that blue (is that a blue sink?? where did you find that??) great job. pls post more when backsplash is done.

Michael Chin thanked Beth H. :
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Carolyn thank you for the compliment - we will definitely post more once the backsplash is up! We actually went with the "Azul Fantasy," only to later find out from our fabricator that this was NOT Azul Fantasy after all... It is apparently actually Azul Bahia. However, Azul Bahia carries a MUCH higher price tag than the granite yard was selling it at - it came off the boat marked Azul Fantasy and they priced it accordingly. Let's just say it "could" have set us back the cost of a new car for just the cost of the slabs ... we REALLY REALLY lucked out! Here are 2 photos showing each, followed by a photo of one of our actual slabs.

Azul Fantasy - much more just creamy/brown with very very small speckles of blue (almost non-existent) here and there with speckles of brown/tan/gold, more of a standard granite - this was a sample of actual Azul Fantasy that our fabricator actually gave us...

Azul Bahia - MUCH MORE BLUE THROUGHOUT with rivers/veins of other colors - golds, corals, greens, (where the blue blends with golds it creates the appearance of teal), plum/eggplant, black and white

One of our slabs from fabrication day for comparison:

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Carolyn and @Beth H. the sinks were a must for the wife - I must admit I was not "sold" on the idea of the blue sinks, but she told me to "trust her" and I'm glad I did! Her combination of the stone of the countertops with the much more subdued cabinets (white and juniper berry) and flooring, and the brass accents throughtout just really make the kitchen a showstopper - especially with those blue sinks!

That said, they are custom sinks from Whyte & Co. in the color Shay Blue.

They specialize in making sinks in an array of 30 Pantone colors - but apparently will make "custom match colors" too. From their website:

We are a different type of sink manufacturing company: one who is determined to change the conversation in designing in color with plumbing fixtures. With a standard offering of more than 30 colors available in every stone composite sink we make for the bathroom, kitchen, bar/prep and laundry room, our goal is to provide designers, architects and home owners more design options than ever before in those spaces.

What makes our products durable and able to stay colorfast for years, is that unlike than other plumbing products offered in other materials, our products are made with the highest quality liquid pigments that permeate throughout our proprietary WhytestoneTM substrate. Whytestone is a blend of stone minerals and resin that makes the product colorfast throughout while being incredibly strong. Meaning scratches merely sand away with a few swipes.

With a wide range of vivid colors and a palette of new neutrals that hasn’t been seen in more than 30 years, we dare you to #dreamincolor

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

some blue tile choices for you

• Hill W
    5 years ago
    Following
    Michael Chin thanked Hill W
  • Hill W
    5 years ago
    Your house is gorgeous
    Michael Chin thanked Hill W
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Beth H. - that is too funny great minds think alike! My wife actually has samples of options 5, 7 and 9 here at the house... she likes the idea of either a 45 offset herringbone with rectangular tiles or the diamonds posted earlier in the thread - but she's definitely wanting the more solid geometric look for the kitchen and to play upon the cobalt tone to create unification and cohesion...

she likes the diamonds in particular because it ties to the rest of the design elements in the house - she's really big on making things harmonize but still being "their own." Our bathrooms have mid-sized hexagonal floor tile and the diamond laid in the "cube pattern" mimics this without being an actual hexagon... these are from Mercury Mosaics...

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mercury Mosaics tiles are pricey in my opinion (being handmade, hand-fired and hand-painted and all), BUT we don't need that much of it, so I pick my battles... it's literally the ONLY company the wife has found with cobalt blue diamonds...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I love those as well. Have you looked at EncoreCeramics? they have the geometric shapes and also have the beautiful crackle glaze colors and metallic glazes.

Look at their 'Cobalt crackle glaze". it's beautiful.

cobalt crackle-Hexagon skinny

http://encoreceramics.com/product-category/mosaics/

some of their other blues

flame/peacock blend

The lapis glaze and cobalt crackle glaze would be great in a blend.

also check out CleTile. they have the most beautiful shade of cobalt on their Zellige and earthenware lines.

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will have her take a look at those for sure! Thank you Beth!

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cobalt is my wife's favorite color too. And she too refinishes and repurposes vintage furniture... for instance in the earlier images where you could see the bathrooms - those are refinished and repurposed consoles from the 1950s that she made into bathroom vanities... you are both very talented! The milk paint looks awesome!!

• Jen B
    5 years ago
    Following. It’s so refreshing and inspiring seeing someone doing what they love and not just what is on trend. You guys did a beautiful job! Your house is unique and beautiful. Can’t wait to see it finished. Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Chin thanked Jen B
  • Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Beth H. don't know where the last picture went?? Showed the wife but hadn't had a chance to respond - she really liked the geometric "bowtie" in the top that you did --- she's a fan of the inlaid bowtie in MCM pieces :)

• Michael Chin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you very much @Jen B and @Hill W

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

michael, i took it down since you saw it. i didn't want to clog up your post w/my pics.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    I’m partial to the canyon one. Other one feels a little too “gas planet” for me personally lol
    Michael Chin thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • CC
    5 years ago
    Michael, your Granite is far nicer than either of the other 2 you posted. It's gorgeous!
    Michael Chin thanked CC
  • Julie Willeford
    5 years ago
    Too much going on with the countertop and the flooring. One needs to be a place for the eye to rest.
    Michael Chin thanked Julie Willeford
  • Sheila Allen
    2 years ago

Where did you find the granite in 2nd picture?

• Lucia Wilke
    2 years ago

Would love to see an update showing which backsplash tiles you chose!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource